Click and Go iPad Maps Add-On for Phantom?

marcus_canada said:
Good lord, now we have another frequency for all the cry babies to blame for their flywaways :lol:
Commanded flyaways! :lol:

Seriously though, this capability is best reserved for real multirotor rigs, not a park flyer like the Phantom. Lipstick on a pig?

What makes any other rig a real multirotor? Because you paid more for it? Because you assembled it yourself? Just curious. The only thing that I see is that the Phantom has limited flight times (though the Vision with its larger battery has been having 23+ minute reported flight times) and has a limited payload. Would an S800 qualify as a real multirotor? An F550, 450, or 330?

I haven't seen whether this will work with the Phantom or not. But DJI has listed the Naza-M as compatible, so there shouldn't be any reason why it can't.

The 3DR Iris which is coming out this month has the same capability (android and ios click and go map) for $729 and is otherwise very similar to Phantom in size and capabilities. I suspect DJI is bringing out this capability to compete.

I previously saw an interview with the CEO of DJI where he stated that the FAA only allows line of site operation, (Fox News) and this capability obviously pushes the boundaries of that regulation. But so does the Vision or any decent FPV system.

To me, a real multirotor is something that is modular and does not have a toy grade TX/RX combo like the Phantom.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pooping on the Phantom. But, I think it has low-end limits in payload, flight time, and reliability... A high-end toy, if you will.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awSWaXlF1VU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_zvalXWct4[/youtube]

While cool, doesn't this capability completely negate the fun and SKILL involved in first-hand flying? Jeez...if this trend is extended to all interesting human activities, pretty soon we'll be having sex via touchpad... :roll:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost