Class E question. §107.41

Reaction score
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC)

What exactly does it mean by the "lateral boundaries of the surface area"? It almost seems to me that the floor of the Class E airspace is irrelevant, based on my interpretation, and that you need ATC authorization to fly underneath Class E airspace (as designated for an airport)... Anyone care to clarify this for me? I'm studying for the aeronautical knowledge test, plus I got a warning on DJI Go a few weeks ago that I was approaching Class E airspace even though I was flying at 100ft. It got me curious.

Last edited:
Think of it like a cylinder going from the ground up to the top of the depicted airspace.

Lateral, or side to side boundaries of the area as defined on the chart. It's not just the "floor".

So what I'm getting at is that it doesn't really matter where Class E begins vertically, because I need to get ATC authorization to cross the lateral limits of Class E no matter how low I am. Is this a correct interpretation?

Yes. Exactly.

Reactions: jofus
That clears it up, thanks!

Reactions: Falcon900
Class E floors are usually either 700 or 1200 ft agl, unless they are annotated with (sfc) which means from the ground up. In that case, the sectional will direct the pilot to where information on when the (sfc) configuration is in place. That is the only time that you need to contact ATC since for a normal ClassE, you should not be flying high enough to be in it. In my area, the (sfc) goes into effect when conditions fall below VFR to keep the approaches clear for instrument flights. And since I can't fly my drone in non-IFR conditions, it doesn't effect me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20