Class E Airspace

You should Google that.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Daniel. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Here is a few links and some other class E airspace help.

This from Wikipedia, clear as mud :) Try the video below.

"Controlled airspace which is neither class A, B, C nor D.[8] In most areas of the United States, class E airspace extends from 1,200 feet (370 m) AGL up to but not including 18,000 feet (5,500 m) MSL, the lower limit of class A airspace. There are areas where class E airspace begins at either the surface or 700 AGL, these areas are used to transition between the terminal and en-route environments (around non-towered airports). These areas are designated on sectional charts. Most airspace in the United States is class E. The airspace above FL600 is also class E.[8] No ATC clearance or radio communication is required for VFR flight in class E airspace. VFR visibility and cloud clearance requirements are the same as for class C and D airspaces when below 10,000 feet (3,000 m) MSL. Above 10,000 ft MSL, the visibility requirement is extended to 5 miles (8 km) and the cloud clearance requirement is extended to 1,000 feet (300 m) below clouds, 1,000 feet (300 m) above, and 1 mile (1.6 km) laterally.[5]"

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Flight Planning and Filing Pilot's Guide | SkyVector

AirMap.io

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 7.53.36 PM✨.png

Reactions: dirkclod
Depending on specifically where you're flying you can't get into Class E airspace because it starts higher (except as noted above some exceptions) than our community based guidelines allow.

Excellent links and details above by TJ.

Under Part 107, you will have to have ATC authorization to fly in Class E. But like BigAl said, Class E only gets down close enough to the surface to be an issue around some airports. Consult your sectional chart. Dashed magenta lines outline ares where Class E dips down to the ground.

Here's a presentation on Airport Operations that might help:

www.uav-groundschool.com/airport-operations (don't try it on your phone - use your tablet or laptop)
one of the reasons that reading sectionals will be part of the test. Near my home, Springfield Airport (KSGH) class E airspace has a keyhole type shape and extends fro the surface (SFC). I would have to contact Dayton ATCC to fly in that space. Again, info that you get from the sectional chart.

I'm a little confused cause the 107 Study Guide from the FAA states this: "In most cases, a remote pilot will not need ATC authorization to operate in Class E airspace."

So what are those most and not most cases?

Q

I'm a little confused cause the 107 Study Guide from the FAA states this: "In most cases, a remote pilot will not need ATC authorization to operate in Class E airspace."

So what are those most and not most cases?

Q

ATC approval is needed only when flying within the lateral boundaries of a Class E airport. (Because that is the only time Class E airspace goes from the surface. Otherwise it usually begins at 700' AGL or 1200' AGL—well above the 400' limit for sUAS under Part 107.)

This is an important one because you'll find yourself in a Class E area but from 700' or 1200' up usually, and not needing ATC approval.

Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep

Also important is to know that Class D airports with part time towers usually become Class E airports during the hours when the tower is closed.

Suggested (re)reading is LuvMyTJ's post from above.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks. This is all what I thought and had studied. I was just hearing some contradictory things. Thanks.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Also important is to know that Class D airports with part time towers usually become Class E airports during the hours when the tower is closed.

Possibly a minor point, but an important distinction - they don't >usually< become Class E. They are just as likely to become Class G. The only way to know is to look up the airport in the Chart Suppllement - A/FD.

Reactions: joet and BigAl07
Possibly a minor point, but an important distinction - they don't >usually< become Class E. They are just as likely to become Class G. The only way to know is to look up the airport in the Chart Suppllement - A/FD.

That's good to know. And that the AOPA flashcard for Class D does not mention the distinction you cite is a good reason to do just as you have said, consult the Chart Supplement.

Thanks very much for clarifying. I have part time towered Class Ds in my area so I will be sure to look them up.

Class E (sfc) usually is used around airports that no longer have a control tower or one that operates part time, but for which instrument approach procedures (IAP's) have been published (KSGH is one example). This is to insure that the approaches are clear for aircraft on Instrument flights.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Sorry, I'm late to this thread, but just found it. As a Pt 61 cfi/i/mei i know airspace fairly well. Then I'm flying this drone for business and just call the tower, ATC, submit a flight plan, call them and fly my drone. Till one day, a towered airport is confused on procedure and has me contact a FAA UAS rep for the east coast. She explains that (and there is an order that explains it very well, supporting her) ATC cannot issue authorization to fly in controlled airspace, period. And the pilot must use the FAA UAS website to file for airspace authorization. Airmaps and any other UAV map is worthless to tell you the airspace, you must consult the most current FAA sectional or terminal VFR chart. And airspace, especially these little Cl E surface extensions do change.

Yep, although the FAR uses the verbiage "permission from ATC", in the real world you have to request airspace authorizations using the online submission at FAA.gov.

Several great resources have been listed here, but I'll add to it. Although primarily designed for manned aircraft pilots, a fantastic app is Foreflight. It's only for Apple, but gives you everything you want and more. From VFR sectionals, to weather, to the Airport Facility Directory giving you very detailed information for each airport. One of the issues mentioned here with Class E airspace is when a control tower shuts down, sometimes the airport does become Class E. The Airport Facility Directory tells you for certain, or whether it becomes Class G, and will even give phone numbers should you need them. All updated when the FAA updates their information. It can also help determine whether you are actually in controlled airspace (Class D airport, as an example). Many of the apps designed for the UAV community are really crappy and don't draw out the airspace correctly. This will do that for you and more as it will overlay your position right on top of the VFR sectional, so you always know.

It is so accurate and complete, the FAA has authorized it for use as an electronic flight bag equivalent for ALL types of flights, even Part 121 commercial (scheduled airlines like Delta and American). Many of the features are for manned aircraft, but at $99 per year, if you do even part-time UAV work, it is well worth the money. They aren't marketing this to the UAV community, but it is so cost effective, I'd recommend it.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way, shape, or form associated with Foreflight. I just use it for both manned and UAV flights.

N42742, funny thing is that i can file an IFR flight plan, go get my plane ready and fly within half hour. A drone? I'm still waiting for simple airspace authorizations that i filed over 3 months ago, crazy.....i had to fly a plane in a busy airspace, near people, etc, and move for some heavy's departing close by, just cause i couldn't get a drone approval for up to 100 agl.....what plane would be there? crazy

N42742, funny thing is that i can file an IFR flight plan, go get my plane ready and fly within half hour. A drone? I'm still waiting for simple airspace authorizations that i filed over 3 months ago, crazy.....i had to fly a plane in a busy airspace, near people, etc, and move for some heavy's departing close by, just cause i couldn't get a drone approval for up to 100 agl.....what plane would be there? crazy

They are working on an instant authorization system due to be released for some airports beginning of next year, with full implementation by end of 2018. It’s getting there.

Yogi, i'm a foreflight lover! although as a cfi the georeferencing gets in the way and i make them put their ipad away....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj