Class E (700' floor) airport manager tells me I can't fly. Now what?

Reaction score
I have a remote pilot certificate. I was 4.9 miles southwest of Talladega, AL airport (not around race time). Called the airport number and the manager there says no flying within 5 miles. Talladega is Class E, 700' floor. Am I missing something? On the 107 authorization site, Class E with a 700' floor is not even an option. Does this manager need to take a basic airman knowledge test like us commercial guys? There was also another Class E airport nearby but we did not bother with them. Not doing anything facy, aerial surveying just above treetops. <10 minute flight time. I own a crash reconstruction company and we use these for mapping roadways. Seems like at least once a week we are under final approach on a Class E airfield. Thank you for any input.

The airport manager is misinformed and doesn't have authority to tell you anything. If it's Class G on the ground you're good to go. The only Class E that affects you is Class E surface areas associated with an airport.

Also why did you call? Part 107 clearly states IF you're in class Golf no authorization and IF authorization is required then "via online portal only" which is what the guy at the airport should have told you to begin with.

Is it possible you misunderstood him and it's E-surface? Look at your sectional for the area and what is it showing?

Just took a quick look at the sectional. everything around Talledega is Glass E (700') except for the Class D at Anniston RGNL to the east And a restricted area to the NNE. Stay away from that and everything else is Class G for sUAS's. Check out the picture attached
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 4.54.32 PM.png

It's clearly 700 ft Class E around KASN, with no surface Class E. Therefore, at the surface, you are in Class G, and under Part 107 you are good to fly. You do not need to call the airport, even to notify them.

You never need to call an airport to fly under Part 107 - it is either permitted (Class G airspace) or requires authorization/waiver (all controlled airspace) which can only be obtained via the FAA portal.

Also, even if you had been flying under the special rule, which has the 5 mile requirement, that is only notification, not a request for permission, and so the airport manager cannot refuse permission in that case either.

Reactions: N42742
I'm just confused about the 5 mile part. Thank you for all the replies.
The main thing to remember is that under Part 107, there is no "5 mile part".

Also why did you call? Part 107 clearly states IF you're in class Golf no authorization and IF authorization is required then "via online portal only" which is what the guy at the airport should have told you to begin with.

Is it possible you misunderstood him and it's E-surface? Look at your sectional for the area and what is it showing?

It's that stupid B4UFLY app that says, "Warning - Action Required. You are within 5 miles of an airport. By law, you must notify the airport operator..."

It's that stupid B4UFLY app that says, "Warning - Action Required. You are within 5 miles of an airport. By law, you must notify the airport operator..."

I don't think that is a good excuse. Anyone flying Part 107 should be completely familiar with these basic operating requirements.

Hobby - <5mile notify except Class BRAVO which requires explicit permission before entering
Commercial - Depends on Airspace

B4UFLY is really geared for hobby/recreational operators. Your Part 107 rules will dictate your actions when you're operating as a Commercial Operator.

Reactions: dec and Falcon900
And also, don't overlook the fact that B4UFLY is for hobbyists only. It has no relevance to Part 107 ops.

Reactions: BigAl07
AirMap is a good app to use for both hobby and Part 107. You just set what rules you are following and it will change the map accordingly. Also, if the airport accepts digital notice for hobby flights, you can do that right within the app.

I'm scratching my head wondering how you managed to get a Part 107 certification if you don't seem to understand some of the basic airspace requirements. I literally had 2 or 3 questions on the exam about Class E 700ft and whether you needed any authorization to fly underneath it.

Reactions: Falcon900
I'm scratching my head wondering how you managed to get a Part 107 certification if you don't seem to understand some of the basic airspace requirements. I literally had 2 or 3 questions on the exam about Class E 700ft and whether you needed any authorization to fly underneath it.

I'm scratching my head wondering why you felt the need to attack someone who came here asking for help. None of us know EVERYTHING and freshly minted Part 107 pilots probably don't remember absolutely everything either. I remember when I got my private pilot ticket and how scared I was to make a mistake. The first time I flew into Class B airspace around the Dallas area, I nearly pissed my pants. The controller was rattling off instructions to at least 20 aircraft without taking a breath. Today, after years of experience, these things are second nature.

To those just joining the pilot ranks, albeit for a sUAV, the airspace, rules and regulations from the FAA can be intimidating. It's one thing to learn what you need to take the test, it sometimes is quite another to always remember at first out in the real world. The person who made the mistake here was the airport manager and that's who needs to learn the rules. It seems to me the OP wants to follow the rules and help keep our airspace safe. And as a manned aircraft pilot sharing the same skies, I appreciate that.

Reactions: Axised
I'm scratching my head wondering why you felt the need to attack someone who came here asking for help. None of us know EVERYTHING and freshly minted Part 107 pilots probably don't remember absolutely everything either.

Valid points. My post came across as kind of douchey on second read. What I really wanted to get across was, "Come on, man, you've been tested on this."

I don't mean to attack anyone for asking questions (heaven knows Ive had plenty), so to the OP, my apologies.

The good news is now you know that airport manager can go pound sand, and you're perfectly fine to fly commercially in Class G without making unnecessary phone calls.

Reactions: Falcon900
I'm scratching my head wondering why you felt the need to attack someone who came here asking for help. None of us know EVERYTHING and freshly minted Part 107 pilots probably don't remember absolutely everything either. I remember when I got my private pilot ticket and how scared I was to make a mistake. The first time I flew into Class B airspace around the Dallas area, I nearly pissed my pants. The controller was rattling off instructions to at least 20 aircraft without taking a breath. Today, after years of experience, these things are second nature.

To those just joining the pilot ranks, albeit for a sUAV, the airspace, rules and regulations from the FAA can be intimidating. It's one thing to learn what you need to take the test, it sometimes is quite another to always remember at first out in the real world. The person who made the mistake here was the airport manager and that's who needs to learn the rules. It seems to me the OP wants to follow the rules and help keep our airspace safe. And as a manned aircraft pilot sharing the same skies, I appreciate that.

It's fine, and probably appropriate, to be nervous when new to this kind of thing, but it's not fine for a certified pilot, new or otherwise, to be both ignorant of the most basic regulations and not to know where to look them up.

Blaming the airport manager is a deflection. Maybe he was new to the position too and, by your argument, we can't expect him to know all the rules?

It's fine, and probably appropriate, to be nervous when new to this kind of thing, but it's not fine for a certified pilot, new or otherwise, to be both ignorant of the most basic regulations and not to know where to look them up.

Blaming the airport manager is a deflection. Maybe he was new to the position too and, by your argument, we can't expect him to know all the rules?

I'm not necessarily suggesting this is the BEST place to seek regulation/legal information. There are official FAA resources better suited to answer these questions for certain. But I would much rather a person ASK somewhere, rather than just do what they "think" they remember. We are all here to learn. What the airport manager "should" have done is researched it their self and asked someone, just as the OP did here. Don't you think? There is absolutely nothing wrong with replying, "I don't know the answer, but let me call you back." Being ignorant and still absorbing the vast information we need to know to be safe are two completely different things.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this is the BEST place to seek regulation/legal information. There are official FAA resources better suited to answer these questions for certain. But I would much rather a person ASK somewhere, rather than just do what they "think" they remember. We are all here to learn. What the airport manager "should" have done is researched it their self and asked someone, just as the OP did here. Don't you think? There is absolutely nothing wrong with replying, "I don't know the answer, but let me call you back." Being ignorant and still absorbing the vast information we need to know to be safe are two completely different things.

I'll turn that around again. What the OP should have done is researched the question (one that is central his certification) before inappropriately calling the airport manager. I'm not defending the manager - just pointing out the double standard that you appear to be applying to the situation.

I'll turn that around again. What the OP should have done is researched the question (one that is central his certification) before inappropriately calling the airport manager. I'm not defending the manager - just pointing out the double standard that you appear to be applying to the situation.

I think we can certainly agree to that point. But I'm not going to fault them for what they did. There is NEVER anything inappropriate about calling the airport or ATC if you are in question, so on that point we can just agree to disagree. You can ask any controller out there, they'd rather a pilot ask if they are uncertain, rather than just do. I know the airports around where I live appreciate a phone call, whether I'm required to notify them or not by law or regulation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers