Class action lawsuit

The geofencing without notice.
Sure, this was a stupid mistake by DJI to update their GO app and parts of the GEO architecture that affected users not participating in the beta program...

The don't have a monopoly on being stupid or making mistakes though... and since I haven't upgraded past FW 1.4 and use Litchi, this mistake didn't affect me...

Hopefully you find a way to downgrade and return to the normal NFZ configuration... Good Luck

I saw this thread and got all excited - I was hoping it was a Class Action Law Suit against the FAA! RATS!!!

Look - there might be a legitimate case about the poor job of rolling out the Geofencing. Maybe. As to the Geofencing itself, I don't think so. I came really close to returning my P3P to Best Buy but after testing, it looks like things are okay so far, I can even start the P3P motors within that 30NM from the Reichstag. So from what I see, it's a sloppy poor job on DJI's part but there is no loss of function and the concept is to add places to fly and grow the business. Right now I see this as a growing pain.

I feel you shouldn't have to be forced to update when they want you to. When you buy something you should be able to decide if u want to update.
and a few minutes later ......
Why would I be angry I haven't updated my app.

What do I need to have more credibility for to chat on a app where people fly drones ?? Really??? Don't get your feelings all emotional dude it's only a conversation where people are saying what they think.
Your basic premise doesn't stand up to any intelligent questioning.
You've accused people of "defending dji" several times although no-one did anything of the sort.
You'd have more credibility if you were consistent and had better thought out arguments.
At the moment it appears to be very low grade trolling.

You've accused people of "defending dji" several times although no-one did anything of the sort.
You'd have more credibility if you were consistent and had better thought out arguments.
Lol your making it out like I'm in court. Not going to keep going on this topic have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I feel you shouldn't have to be forced to update when they want you to. When you buy something you should be able to decide if u want to update.

nor should dji use deceit to get people to update. I tried v1.6 firmware on my P3 advanced because dji's own release notes say 1.6 can downgrade to 1.5 and 1.5 can downgrade to 1.4.
total lie, now I'm stuck with a choice of 2 horrible firmwares until a worse one is released.

excessive complaining or mentioning lawsuits won't change a thing.

Only a significant loss of sales due to over restrictive geofencing or more bad firmware releases could change policy.

Well ... yes and no ... If there are new safety and technology features that are being incorporated into later versions, at some point the updates should be installed.

Last year, at one point, a firmware update broke the VPS. Manual landings were still possible and easy. A short while later it was fixed better than it originally worked. Other than that, with each update, I've found that my P3P has flown at least as well, if not better than before.

As I've said before, these quadcopters are amazing new mass-produced consumer-oriented technology, but they're not military- or industrial-grade. They are first-and-foremost sports cameras on toy flying machines. Given all that, they are flying in the public airspace with little oversight, where even one bad accident could cause severe personal injury or property damage.

I truly believe that DJI has done an amazing job of conceiving their products and updating the software as they discover issues. I'm up-to-date on the GO app and all firmware, and have had no recent issues at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
U have a lot more limitations now and it's only the beginning.

I see your point, but where you will run into issue us when you suit them. You will be asked to show proof. Of course yiu go back to what they have advertised and compare that with what is. So i think you will encounter problem in demonstrating where they lied. I think thats the pproblem. Simply saying it used to be able to do this without showing dji said so would give you a case.

Now you may have a case on height limit. Even that might be suspect, because they will just say it flys ok in rocky mountain area since tgey did not specified the height as AGL.

The geofencing without notice.

I don't think this line works. The same way software update, service packs won't get you a case. Just think how many uodates we get on our computer systems, software we used. Anyone suit them successfully yet? Antivirus update?

I think one good way to see if you have a case is to approach a class action law firm. They get pay from settlement. So if they don't take your case then you know you dont have a case. And the lawyers are telling you so. You can keep shopping until you fibd someone who thinks you have a case.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I don't think this line works. The same way software update, service packs won't get you a case. Just think how many uodates we get on our computer systems, software we used. Anyone suit them successfully yet? Antivirus update?
Thank you! I won't keep harping on it, but this is beyond the beyond.

Of course they have the right to change their software at any time -- for legal, safety, technical, and other reasons.

And yes, after you buy a TV, the networks can cancel your favorite shows, and frequently do. Similarly, your cable provider can even change which stations you are able to receive. They do it all the time.

Are we going to sue Microsoft for removing Internet Explorer and Movie Maker from recent revisions of Windows?

The way I see it.

I for one totally agree with you SouthernPhantom. Today’s technology took RC flying to a totally new level. Basically taking what you could do in a video game or flight simulator to actual reality. Especially with quadcopters. It’s PNP (plug in Play) or in this realm PNF (plug in fly). I’ve been flying RC aircraft since 1979 where all you had was a basic transmitter, receiver, servos, and motor and someone experienced to help train you on how to fly and control your bird. Now without any experience all you have to do is buy and fly. The point being, you and you alone had total responsibility and control of your bird. NOT a computer.

I have to wonder though and I’m not even sure I want to know, how many people who now buy and fly could build a fixed wing plane, helicopter, or quadcopter from scratch, fly it (without the aid of a computer), and bring it home in one piece. I know I have loaded up many a pillow case with pieces over the years. And fortunately without personal injury or property damage.

So hats off to DJI and other manufacturers who are giving (yes, giving) people the capability of the dream to fly. However, because now anyone without prior flight experience can fly (quadcopters) such as the high end ones. Software for the birds must now deal with the inexperienced and irresponsible. And now obviously because of this, regulations at the federal, state, and local levels are popping up all over the place. So thank you very much. Now even if I did not own my new (Oct 2015) P3A, I am now subject to all the same regulations because none of my fixed wing aircraft are under .55 pounds.

So bottom line. DJI, Keep the updates coming. I just wish you put manual trim tabs on the RC. Cause I do like flying it without the aid of the computer. VLOS, that is. Love to make it dance in the sky.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
None of the above keeps one from using, enjoying and operating their computer or tv however.

Just seems wrong to sell a product and then restrict free usage of said purchased property rights via software with covert code.

So bottom line. DJI, Keep the updates coming. I just wish you put manual trim tabs on the RC. Cause I do like flying it without the aid of the computer. VLOS, that is. Love to make it dance in the sky.

Thanks, Inno! Anyone who thinks my fun has been hampered by the newest firmware updates wasn't in Colorado with me last week taking spectacular landscape photos.

To your comment about trim tabs, check this out! Apparently Parrot plans to introduce a fixed-wing drone with the latest technology.

Parrot unveils new Disco winged drone with 50mph top speed, iOS connectivity

Reactions: GoodnNuff
exactly, but sticking to the topic of flying, your computer or TV can't go airborne either. I take that back, was watching TV and some guy threw a TV out the window and landed on top of a car which put a nice size dent into it.

Thanks, Inno! Anyone who thinks my fun has been hampered by the newest firmware updates wasn't in Colorado with me last week taking spectacular landscape photos.

To your comment about trim tabs, check this out! Apparently Parrot plans to introduce a fixed-wing drone with the latest technology.

Parrot unveils new Disco winged drone with 50mph top speed, iOS connectivity
Nice, I like it's design. The let go and it fly's by itself is a little scary. Be testing that in the middle of the desert. Thanks for the link.

I never fly below 500 ft unless I'm taking off or landing and even then I'm on R/W heading unless I'm landing on a lake or taking off from a lake.

I have a bigger problem with the police chopper than I've ever had with a drone in my way.

When you buy a product it should work and have the same limitations from the time u buy it. I can see if u bought it today it having all these limitations. They have a good point!! It's like buying a tv that gets all your favorite stations then it updates and doesn't get them anymore. Let's stop worrying about other people's flying habits and focus on dji.

I agree but the only way DJI is going to feel any pain is to stop. Buying their products .somebody out there like the makers of all the next best drone makers should get together and stomp their buts

Well done my friend. Matlock would have been proud!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.