Citizen’s drone spots missing teacher; now sheriff’s office wants one

Reaction score
Citizen’s drone spots missing teacher; now sheriff’s office wants one.

TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — The Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office is in the process of buying a drone after one owned by an area citizen helped find missing teacher Krista Perdue alive Tuesday evening.

Between being understaffed and crunched for time, Tippecanoe County Sheriff Barry Richard says Tuesday’s missing teacher investigation was a challenge.

“We were kind of thinking how are we going to be able to do this?” said Richard. “Obviously, we are going to maximize our manpower to go out there and do a physical search.”

Their saving grace?

A call from a citizen. This person doesn’t want to be named, but they offered their drone to search the area around a retention pond near Krista Perdue’s home on Trackside Drive in Tippecanoe County.

“That was a no-brainer,” said Richard. “We obviously took the owner’s offer up on that.”

From the ground’s perspective, it’s difficult to see what’s inside tall weeds. But from an aerial view, you can cut your search time in half.

“If we did not locate the individual when we did,” said Richard. “Who is to say another night out in the elements or another 12-24 hours without being located, it could have ended up being a lot more serious or a fatal situation.”

But even with the help of a drone, the sheriff’s office had to make special arrangements for the search.

“We had probably a dozen individuals out there and those are individuals working off duty, working different shifts,” said Richard.

He said his proposed five-year plan to add 10 more deputies would help with future investigations like Tuesday’s search.

“If you have sufficient man power, you are able to do it with the men and women who are on duty and able to do it at that time,” said Richard.

He is still hoping the county council approves that plan this summer. But before then, you may be seeing some robotic deputy assistance.

“Lt. Ruley is looking in to all the fine details of getting it ordered and placing the order today,” Richard said referring to Wednesday.

The sheriff said they’re going to train people and make sure they’re following federal drone regulations. But he feels the new drone will prove to be successful, as it did in the successful search for Krista Perdue.

Was the citizens drone equipped with flir? If not the station is making a useless perchase

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why would it be useless? Aerial searching is very effective in the visual spectrum too. IR imaging is an additional tool, not the only tool. In this particular case I saw no indication that FLIR was used anyway.

Reactions: Phantomix
i use my drone for things like this (but without people). I am part of a model flying club using a few of my airplanes. It is pretty popular and people in the club lose 3-10 airplanes per season in the trees. I took my phantom up and saw 7 up there! I was able to lift 2 small ones with a hook and almost crashed my phantom trying to lift the third.

Why would it be useless? Aerial searching is very effective in the visual spectrum too. IR imaging is an additional tool, not the only tool. In this particular case I saw no indication that FLIR was used anyway.

Without flir the footage needs to be examined much more closely and something under a tree is impossible to see. Plus with the batter life issues flir would make it much more efficient for scanning areas quickly because they can be studied for a shorter period of time

Without flir the footage needs to be examined much more closely and something under a tree is impossible to see. Plus with the batter life issues flir would make it much more efficient for scanning areas quickly because they can be studied for a shorter period of time

IR imaging is only that simple for subjects at night or in relatively cold conditions. During the day, especially in warm weather, it is virtually useless, and visible is much more effective. We rarely use FLIR during the day.

IR imaging is only that simple for subjects at night or in relatively cold conditions. During the day, especially in warm weather, it is virtually useless, and visible is much more effective. We rarely use FLIR during the day.

Hmm ok. Honestly an normal camera and a flir camera would be the best choice for a police department

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues