Circular or Linear Polarizer for PV2?

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I just got my Phantom 2 Vision and am new this whole thing. I wanted to get a polarizer for the attached camera but not sure if it uses a linear or circular polarizer. Anyone know which works with this camera?

Circular. Linear will mess up the metering of the GoPro and you'll end up with shots that are either under or overexposed.

rilot said:
Circular. Linear will mess up the metering of the GoPro and you'll end up with shots that are either under or overexposed.

Thanks for the reply but I'm not using the GoPro. I'm using the installed camera on the P2 Vision. I'm guessing it's the FC200?

rilot said:
Still circular. Linear will cause bad metering (or no metering at all).

Here's three images directly from FC200, only processing applied is scaling down to better fit for the forum.

Pictures were taken with and without Hoya linear polarizer. Can you say in which there's "bad metering"?

Attachments

• FC200_pol-test-2.jpg
    FC200_pol-test-2.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 653
  • FC200_pol-test-1.jpg
    FC200_pol-test-1.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 663
  • FC200_pol-test-3.jpg
    FC200_pol-test-3.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 718
Thanks for the pictures. Maybe it's my older eyes but I can not see a difference in each photo. Which is the photo without and which one has the polarizer?

Any chance I could ask you to do landscape photos with blue sky in the picture?

FourWheelers said:
Thanks for the pictures. Maybe it's my older eyes but I can not see a difference in each photo. Which is the photo without and which one has the polarizer?
That's my point. Linear polarizer does not disturb FC200's exposure metering. Linear polarizer could disturb Auto Focus system in a camera. But FC200 does not have AF, not even MF :(
FourWheelers said:
Any chance I could ask you to do landscape photos with blue sky in the picture?
Images were taken when I kept pol filter in front of camera lens by hand, my fingers can be seen in the upper right corner (i.e. I don't have the filter adapter). I am not going to experiment with pol filter effect in "real" pictures, because it's impossible to adjust the filter properly when camera is in the air, IMHO.

The only way a linear polarizer would affect metering is if the metering system used a beam splitter (semi-silvered mirror) as part of the metering system. These systems were (and still are in some cameras) common in film SLRs.

The FC200 does not.

A linear polarizer will do fine.

In simple terms, a circular polarizing filter is rotated so certain wavelengths of light are blocked from entering the lens and hitting the sensor. This can be fine tuned depending on the angle between your light source (the sun or light bulbs, typically) and the subject being photographed by spinning the filter until the desired effect is accomplished.
A polarizer can do it's best work when the lens is pointed 90 degrees away from the light source.
The goal - generally - is to reduce haze and deepen blues in the sky and in water.
Use whatever gets you there.

AnselA said:
bobomet said:
...certain wavelengths of light are blocked...

A (good) polarizer will not block "certain wavelenghts". Linear or circular. Actually, a circular polarizer is a combination of linear polarizer + de-polarizer.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing ... ography%29

AnselA ...
Did you purposefully omit "... is rotated ...", or was that an oversight?
I don't have the energy to argue what is well established science.
Do what feels good to you.

bobomet said:
AnselA said:
bobomet said:
...certain wavelengths of light are blocked...

A (good) polarizer will not block "certain wavelenghts". Linear or circular. Actually, a circular polarizer is a combination of linear polarizer + de-polarizer.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing ... ography%29

AnselA ...
Did you purposefully omit "... is rotated ...", or was that an oversight?
I don't have the energy to argue what is well established science.
Do what feels good to you.

Polarization and wavelenght are distinct properties of light, according to well established science.

Images were taken when I kept pol filter in front of camera lens by hand, my fingers can be seen in the upper right corner (i.e. I don't have the filter adapter). I am not going to experiment with pol filter effect in "real" pictures, because it's impossible to adjust the filter properly when camera is in the air, IMHO.[/quote]

Thanks for the work with the pictures. Definitely answers my questions. I'll come back and post pictures once my adapter and lens comes in.

FourWheelers said:
Images were taken when I kept pol filter in front of camera lens by hand, my fingers can be seen in the upper right corner (i.e. I don't have the filter adapter). I am not going to experiment with pol filter effect in "real" pictures, because it's impossible to adjust the filter properly when camera is in the air, IMHO.

Thanks for the work with the pictures. Definitely answers my questions. I'll come back and post pictures once my adapter and lens comes in.[/quote]

Ok. Mount and Lens came in. Took sample photos from the deck with blue sky. Untouched and used stock PV2 and camera with a Linear Polarizer. Unfortunately, the Linear polarizer came on a rotational mount to adjust for effectiveness. Doesn't this make it a circular polarizer?

Trying to reduce the photos so I can post them. I reduced the file size but the clarity is awful and picture way too big.

FourWheelers said:
Unfortunately, the Linear polarizer came on a rotational mount to adjust for effectiveness. Doesn't this make it a circular polarizer?

Rotational mount is essential for polarizer, it doesn't make it "circular".

Should anyone need it, here are photos for the PV2 completely stock with and without a polarizer. I used a linear polarizer.

Without

With Polarizer attached

With polarizer fully adjusted.

Guess I'm gonna need longer arms to turn the darn thing :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 462
  • image.jpg