Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Circuit or source, LED's to strobe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fizzviic, Nov 2, 2013.

1. fizzviic

Anybody know of an aftermarket item to enable LED's to strobe? Perhaps know the circuitry for homemade strobes. I want to convert a high intensity LED "headlight" to strobe. It would be seen much easier I believe than a standard "always lit" LED headlight,

Thanks

2. Peter Patricelli

I have been doing a lot of online research on this issue. I agree that a flashing strobe would be more of a visibility aid that my current LED patch. However I think you need to distinguish between FLASHING LEDs and a true strobe...which is a different beast than an LED. There are MANY true strobe kits on the market online, but they are characterized by a fairly large current draw, a large capacitance stored charge, and a potentially dangerous discharge current, and they looked bigger and heavier than the LED alternatives. None that I found seemed appropriate.

Rapidly flashing LED's however are available and I am going to REI this morning to get one...sold as a self-contained bicycle/bicyclist visibility device. Or one can get something along this line:

http://www.cnaweb.com/flashing-leds.asp ... QgodFR0AGQ

3. Sac D

4. fizzviic

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

5. Peter Patricelli

Fabulous!

But here is another source, for about half the price...and they have them in stock!

http://www.flytron.com/rc-light-systems ... light.html

Sac D, in the other thread you mention no need for an additional power source. They are rated for 3-6V. How do you power yours??

6. Sac D

Sorry, didn't see your post until now. I'm getting 5v from my Futaba receiver in the Phantom. If you have the stock Phantom receiver, you would have to add a little UBEC from the main power to drop the voltage from 12v to 5v. They are pretty cheap, ebay or hobbyking, etc.

7. jumanoc

Agreed, Better if it is a strobo/ flashing pointing front. I use self-powered "frog strobos" from bike store. Its own battery keeps more than 15 hours in flashing mode (no draw main battery ;) ). 18gr, US$ 3.00 on ebay 300 mts tested, night and day great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OI Photography

9. jumanoc

10. Fdnyfish

Any pics or video of the lights you can share?