circling around at the start

Reaction score
Hi all, I finally have got the hang of my flying with the p2, but when I first start her up and get her off the ground she starts circling around, the circles get bigger and bigger if you don't stop it.I just fly it for about 10 minutes and it seems to get better with staying in one spot but still has this issue.The weather couldn't be more perfect no wind at all, do the compass gps calibration and all that but still seems to be doing it.any ideas??

When was the last advanced IMU calibration, stick calibration and compass calibration done? From your descrption , you need to go back and READ the manual in depth. I'm not trying to slam you, but many folks don't read the manuals and get disappointed when things don't go smoothly.

It sounds like a compass issue but do the above calibrations & let us know what the results are..

Kia ora bro! Ignore the guy above.

Technically called the TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect) and is the same for all us NZ flyers.

Good news is that the soon to be released firmware will fix this... it's been a long ongoing issue. Read all about it here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317

And if you want a temporary fix, just look at the way I've twisted the compass around the landing leg, about 3rd post from the bottom of the first page.

EMCSQUAR said:
When was the last advanced IMU calibration, stick calibration and compass calibration done? From your descrption , you need to go back and READ the manual in depth. I'm not trying to slam you, but many folks don't read the manuals and get disappointed when things don't go smoothly.

It sounds like a compass issue but do the above calibrations & let us know what the results are..
Do NOT ignore this post as has been suggested. Follow it through first and report back as EMSCQUAR has said.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Do NOT ignore this post as has been suggested. Follow it through first and report back as EMSCQUAR has said.

He's already stated he has done all the calibration and is describing a well documented problem. Far more helpful than READ the manual.

BigBadFun said:
IrishSights said:

He's already stated he has done all the calibration and is describing a well documented problem. Far more helpful than READ the manual.
Sorry @bigbadfun but he did not say he had done an IMU cal. Troubleshooting in any environment is a process. You may well be right but it makes good sense to eliminate other potental causes first, rather than jumping in straight and suggesting to twist the compass and wait for firmware.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
Sorry @bigbadfun but he did not say he had done an IMU cal. Troubleshooting in any environment is a process. You may well be right but it makes good sense to eliminate other potental causes first, rather than jumping in straight and suggesting to twist the compass and wait for firmware.

Look dude. I'll explain it slowly once more just for you. ALL phantoms in New Zealand straight out of the box fly in circles. NO amount of calibration will fix it. It is a KNOWN ISSUE and I provided the answer for him.

Your answer will NOT help him. Period. But I'm kind of thinking you are just the type who likes to argue the color of orange juice for the sake of it. :roll:

Sorry you are so antagonistic and condescending when people just try and help...dude. hope you have a good day, bye

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
Sorry you are so antagonistic and condescending when people just try and help...dude. hope you have a good day, bye

Move along grandpa... :mrgreen:

Just like to say thanks to both of you for your advice but I'm tending to siding with bigbadfun as I've read this somewhere before that NZ has a problem with flying these things, just didn't know how to fix it.Hey bigbadfun, when do you think the new firmware upgrade will be coming out?

spudgun said:
Just like to say thanks to both of you for your advice but I'm tending to siding with bigbadfun as I've read this somewhere before that NZ has a problem with flying these things, just didn't know how to fix it.Hey bigbadfun, when do you think the new firmware upgrade will be coming out?

Hey man - I would certainly hope in the next couple of weeks. DJI don't have too much quality control so I don't think it will be months as others have speculated. Everything is pretty random and made up as they go along. Wish someone would hack the firmware like iPhone jailbreak, or the GH2 camera hacks... then we could get some real potential out of it.

BigBadFun said:
IrishSights said:

Move along grandpa... :mrgreen:

FYI..Irish happens to be one of the most knowledgeable gentlemen on this site. Try not to be so rude. He's helped many and even though you might not agree, he's a wealth of knowledge and helped many. Just a suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Irish was just trying to help, no need to call him out for being wrong. But considering this guy is in NZ, even if he was in need of a advanced calibration, he would surely experience the declination problem next so BigBadFun was just cutting to the chase.

Anyway - BigBadFun, have you been able to bribe 3.05 out of anyone yet? I need that SOB. :D

FYI, mine does the same and I'm in ny. What's odd is once I get above 10 meters, it hovers in a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon I have found a bit of a fix to this issue.It's not great, but seems to work for me sometimes.I fly in GPS mode then force it to failsafe in atti mode.just before it goes to land I take control and it seems to come right.I think forcing it into using the programmed homing gps system to bring it home helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj