Christmas Lights of Boise, Idaho

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/aIUtxv_to6I

This was shot this week in Boise, Idaho USA.

DJI Phantom
Arris Gimbal
Gopro Hero 3 1080 , 30 fps, medium
aftermarket motors, props, and radio and stuff.

It really was a fun project with friends as we drove around, drank some holiday cheer and did video.

It is my 3rd time editing video so send me feedback.

Nice going! I want to do that down here in N.O. but it's been a little windy lately.

Idahomojo said:

DJI Phantom
Arris Gimbal

It really was a fun project with friends as we drove around, drank some holiday cheer and did video.

Idahomojo said:

DJI Phantom
Arris Gimbal

Feedback - Absolutely stunning. Getting that kind of low light video out of a 3B is almost magic.
Care to share some of your workflow.

Im not really sure what the workflow was. x-mss lights are pretty bright and seem to do well. Like I said in my description, 1080 p, 30 fps, medium view. I did a fair amount of cropping, straightening, and ken burnsing. It was not a 3+, just a 3. I did it all in Final Cut Pro X. Thanks for the kind words.

An excellent job of editing.....as well as flying...! I liked that you resisted the urge that most of us have to get as high as possible and show a view from hundreds of feet in the air...mostly roof tops that way..! Your street level scenes were great, I'm thinking they would be much like Santa's view from the sleigh....without the reindeer, of course..!!

From the looks of some of the homes, they must have commercial electrical service to be able to power those huge displays...!
Merry Christmas...and Season's Greetings to you...ho, Ho, HO...!!

by Idahomojo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:16 pm

DJI Phantom
Arris Gimbal

When you say "aftermarket motors, props and radio and stuff," can you elaborate on the "stuff?"

Name & Type of motors? Type of Props? Name of Radio and the other stuff, such as FPV if it was used?

Very Nice Video, by the way!!!

Thanks much... and have a Merry Christmas!

Sorry for leaving that out. I use tiger motors for the phantom, the larger vision props on a version 1 phantom. I use a fat shark fpv but don't know why i wasted money on goggles. I added a monitor this week and it is really the only way to get these shots as you can't be putting goggles on and off. I have immersion antennas on the fpv. I also have a futaba t8j radio. I have 7 stock batteries and 3 stock chargers but need to change that stuff up.

Most importantly I have a person with me involved with the project that knows how to work with me to frame an image. We talk about the shot for 10 minutes before we take off and when taking off he gives me all the verbal input to get me positioned for the run. He also kelps me find obstacles in our preflight check. You really need a good wingman.

Also, remember, once you start a run avoid yawing right or left, that ruins video. Fly slow and steady and speed it up in post production. Don't be in the air unless you know exactly what shot you are trying to get. Know your story line before you go out into the field so you know the shots you want to get. Trash most of your footage and make short videos. Keep just the best.

Hope that helps.

I really enjoyed your video and it has plenty of the elements needed to make it work. Low level, smooth flight, a multitude of different shots not endless repeats of the same thing from slightly different viewpoints. No evidence of the helicopter, just letting the content speak for itself. Nice music track and well cut to the video. The ending with the high climb to the christmas tree was excellent. The only thing I would have liked to see as well were some ground footage as cutaways rather than 100% flight. I feel that the odd ground shot somehow resets the magic of flight for when the next flight sequence cuts in.

Loved it, and I learnt a lot from your video. Thanks for sharing ;)

Idahomojo....Your basic guidelines for shooting and editing video are excellent...should be required reading for all Phantomvideotographereditors...!!! Especially the part about cutting out any of the shaky stuff... I hope you will do....and post more of your work....

Nice!

It is good to see someone else is flying these in Idaho.

Here is one I did last summer at Roseberry, Idaho.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/92MY7buCra4[/youtube]

Phantom stock; stock props
GoPro 2; no gimbal; FCP X; 720P at 60fps

Sorry for leaving that out. I use tiger motors for the phantom, the larger vision props on a version 1 phantom. I use a fat shark fpv but don't know why i wasted money on goggles. I added a monitor this week and it is really the only way to get these shots as you can't be putting goggles on and off. I have immersion antennas on the fpv. I also have a futaba t8j radio. I have 7 stock batteries and 3 stock chargers but need to change that stuff up.

Thanks... Exactly what I needed to know... I still have to get me a FatShark FPV system to see what the heck I'm doing...

Most importantly I have a person with me involved with the project that knows how to work with me to frame an image. We talk about the shot for 10 minutes before we take off and when taking off he gives me all the verbal input to get me positioned for the run. He also kelps me find obstacles in our preflight check. You really need a good wingman.

Is this "Wingman" for hire? He's a great asset to your flying abilities...

Also, remember, once you start a run avoid yawing right or left, that ruins video. Fly slow and steady and speed it up in post production. Don't be in the air unless you know exactly what shot you are trying to get. Know your story line before you go out into the field so you know the shots you want to get. Trash most of your footage and make short videos. Keep just the best.

All your advise is greatly appreciated... Learned a lot from your video... And yes, that last shot was freakin' amazing... Gave me chills on how perfect it finished your Christmas program... Got me into the Christmas spirit! Good Luck to you, Merry Christmas, and please post more...

Totally out of this world.If the FAA ever gets off their butts and makes this legal,you are well on your way to a great living.What you have done is what we all would like to do.In my book your already a Pro.Its plan you have a dream.Grab it and don't let go ever.

Ron

Great shots! I am a neighbor down the road in Eagle and have some trouble with my Phantom. Sounds like you have some great knowledge on them. Do you ever do any trouble shooting on the side? I need help, of course will make it worth the time. Thanks!

Idahomojo would you allow me to place a link to your video on my post 'tips for improving your films' ? Your film is an excellent example of how to do it right and I think it could help others. I will of course explain its your work not mine.

Shrimpfarmer - Sure, you can post it as you like. No problem. Just link to my Youtube video that gives full credit as I did not put any in the video.

Johnnybeach - I can help you out with your Phantom. I live in the North End of Boise so stop by if you are down that way and we can get a beer. I am no expert by any means but I have dumped a lot of money into the sport to achieve the results I have. You can contact me off the youtube account as I don't check here that often.

Idahomojo said:
Shrimpfarmer - Sure, you can post it as you like. No problem. Just link to my Youtube video that gives full credit as I did not put any in the video.

Added link to your Youtube video, excellent example so thanks for that.

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, are you aware of Idaho state law 21-213? If not, you should look it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav