Christmas Day problem

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Vision 2+ for Christmas. Couldn't hardly wait to get it In the air, stood there watching the battery lights during the charging process. Went for a 3-4 minute flight and all went well. Packed it up and and drove to in-laws. Decided to go for a flight and it started up good. When I throttled it up it tipped over backwards. I shut it down as quick as possible. When I picked it up one of the props fell off. I put it back on and moved to a concrete sidewalk for the launch. Started the bird up and only 3 engines ran properly, one would run but not at the right speed. I took the prop off the engine in question and then took the 4 bolts out of engine mount to examine the bottom of the engine. The clip on the engine shaft appears to be ok. Now I'm at a stand still and waiting on the dealer to check with DJI to see what the next step will be. Sorry for the long post, just really bummed. Today was beautiful and really want to be out flying!

First, Welcome to the forum. Second, I'm not giving you a hard time but you really need to spend some time reading the manual & watching some of the videos on you tube. It is highly not recommended to launch from concrete, Rooftops of cars, buildings, etc. There is rebar in concrete & you will watch your phantom do some strange things like crash fly, away etc. the metal will screw up your compass!
good luck & enjoy your phantom.

Thanks guys. My dad has had one for about four months, so not a complete newby. When it tipped I was in grass and the concrete I moved to I know doesn't have any rebar but thanks for the advice. Hopefully the dealer get me an answer and a fix quickly. Sad to hear that the ESC is a common problem.

There is a set screw in the housing the props spin on to. The set screw is meant to keep the props in time with the shaft going through the motor. It is possible when such a thing happens like you experienced can loosen this set screw. It is a small allen head and I'm not sure of the size, I want to say 1.5mm or something. Nothing else makes sense unless the motor was left spinning for a long period before the quad was returned upright.

Yes I did a compass calibration before flying at the new location.
Can you post a picture of where this set screw is? I've looked and must not be looking in the right spot.
The motor didn't run for any longer than two seconds

Oh and Btw....Larry L is right on point with the reading the manual. The vPlus is unlike any other R/C quad. Anytime you leave your neighborhood to fly elsewhere you must always calibrate the compass. It is critical and should never be neglected!

One last thing that should help, I have found it best to go full throttle when launching until you reach 20ft or so. I personally go to 60ft everytime and hover and observe how the quad is acting, watching to see if it is going in a square circle, or drifting while the wind is trying to push it. Either of those taking place means I need to land and recalibrate the compass. Feel free to ask questions if you need help. Just find members you feel good with their advice though.

sims5 said:
Yes I did a compass calibration before flying at the new location.
Can you post a picture of where this set screw is? I've looked and must not be looking in the right spot.
The motor didn't run for any longer than two seconds

If you have the newer Version 3 Vision Plus then it does not have the mentioned set screws. Otherwise you should see this set screw below the prop threaded area in the motor housing.

My dad has the same, Phantom Vision 2+ that I have. It is the only one I have experience with. When we launch, we do the same as you describe. I have read the manual, maybe not word for word but I've been thru it.

flyNfrank said:
I have found it best to go full throttle when launching until you reach 20ft or so. I personally go to 60ft everytime and hover and observe how the quad is acting, watching to see if it is going in a square circle, or drifting while the wind is trying to push it
+1

sims5 said:
Mine must be the Version 3, there isn't a set screw in that area.

I think your best bet is to wait for the dealer and protect your investment. I wouldn't mess with something that's under warranty for fear of voiding it.

BTW, You have a nice wife since she bought you it :D The Manual is hard to read, it is not the best written thing out there :(
The Vision summary guide ( it is a pdf) Has probably everything you will need to know. It won't let me upload it but I know someone has it on their signature.
Good luck.

Unless your into it with a soldering iron, I don't see how you would mess up with the manufacturer. There is nothing out of the ordinary by removing the top cover. Now if there was stained water puddles and such, that would be different. They would probably blow the whistle if that type of damage appeared in some way. That is why it is so important to get things opened up to dry. The inside top of each battery looks like a mini computer. You see why they have some expense to them should you ever see one inside. And the top of the gimbal area is also another high electronic area.

Larry L. I am very blessed with a great wife of 20+ years. In my manual packet there was a 2-3 page book, that might be the summary guide. It had some good info in it.

flyNfrank since it's only a day old I'm going to wait and see what DJI says to do next. If it was a set screw deal I would have happily fixed that problem.

sims5 said:
I am CarlJ.
Testing my patience though :)

Hang in there buddy, there's blue skies ahead ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl