Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Choppy footage. Any suggestions? DJI 3 Adv.

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by tboarder, Sep 22, 2015.

1. tboarder

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a Phantom 3 Advance and took it for a quick test filming the night after purchasing.
    The image quality I'm getting is terrible due to two main factors:
    • Choppy/staggering footage
    • Motion blur
    The second point should be just down to the shutter speed, which I will look to re-test tonight; but the choppy/staggering footage is something new to me. It looks like it is being filmed at 10fps or something to that effect.
    I'm aware that the camera is terrible in low-light, thus the grain, but it should not affect the movement of objects within the frame.

Filming was done in 2.7k with auto settings.
    I will run test in manual with a faster shutter speed setting tonight, but does anyone have any suggestions or is anyone aware of issues with this camera that I should take into consideration, or which might rectify the image quality issue?

Footage looks the same on phone, computer and Vimeo.
    Has been resized to 720p at 10-12Mbps

Test video snippets (trimmed) taken from drone:

Longer 3 min of test footage:

Cheers,
    Tom

2. lotusteve

there is sometihing wrong.. had mine for a week now and done 3 sessions and all 3 are a 100% better than your footage. reset all settings to default and try again.. hope you get it sorted.

3. brushlesheaven

Is your SD card class C10?
    Look at the small print on the card somewhere to find it.

4. tboarder

Thank you for the response,

I ran a second round of filming tonight and changed the below things:
    - Switched down to 1080p (Originally 2.7k)
    - Changed to Manual ISO and Shutter speed

Now everything is running smoothly, but I have questions on what was causing the bad image previously, the 2.7k feed or the shutter speed...
    - Could the load from the 2.7k be having that effect on the footage recording properly?
    (Filming on a grade 10 micro SD as provided with the drone)
    - Even when setting the shutter speed to 50 (lowest setting) manually, the image was fine. I tested 50, 80, 100 with no major quality difference. When the camera is set to auto, can it force a shutter speed lower than 50 which might have caused the issue?

I'll test again tomorrow; on manual settings and 2.7k, and then 1080p on auto settings and see what I can find out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated to help!

Cheers,
    Tom