chirp / whistle locator

Never known a BT device to reach 300 feet.

But until recently, I had not had a WiFi extender reach over 1200' either.

o_O

Well, if you are still wearing that suit, and I am NOT CROSSING ANY LINES, maybe you could ask around about how they do it.

I would only want this audio to be activated on command. I dont want others to find it first, I dont want it to spend its batteries before I get to it.

I use a RF-V16 Tracker which emits ringing when you telephone it. It does not rely on the Phantom battery (which may have dropped out anyway if there was an impact).

I would only want this audio to be activated on command. I dont want others to find it first, I dont want it to spend its batteries before I get to it.

I use a RF-V16 Tracker which emits ringing when you telephone it. It does not rely on the Phantom battery (which may have dropped out anyway if there was an impact).

It really sounds like (no pun intended) you are on to something. There is no reason for it to be screaming for help if no one is there to hear it.

ohh thats a good idea too. this way you have control over it. what would the range for this be. again this is all hypothetical ideas of the worst case you have no idea where it is. i wonder if there is any way to utilize the GPS to get a ruff idea of how far you are say from your phone using the satellites ?

The website works just fine......

Sorry Glassman, but on this it is my opinion that you are off base. You did not buy any and try them; I did. They did not work as advertised.

I searched amazon for 10 minutes and cannot find a single offering with a review of 4.5 as you say. But I CAN find others with much lower reviews on amazon. for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallet-TrackR...ie=UTF8&qid=1429809325&sr=8-2&keywords=trackr

That's a 2.5...... there are other brands that do have higher ratings, but not stick n find, tracker, or trackr.

You say the website works fine but it does not. Yes, the website itself does come up, but no one I found in ANY review ever was was to actually sign in with their unit - so to me, that means their website does not work. The concept is great but it requires LOTS of people to sign up to be of any value.

Yes, startups will have hickups, but after failing miserably 2 times in the past, with products that did not meet promises, with other peoples invested money, and then coming back a third time for more.... not a track record I will sink any money into. The first time they made promises that they could not keep, that should have been enough for everyone to stop believing them. Once a liar, always a liar.

Yes, I have quite a good idea what it takes to do a startup; I did many many years ago. My wife and I went 2.5 years without a paycheck until it got going. I am not 65 and am now retired with the company still flourishing. Over these 40 years, we worked very closely with 3-4 companies starting new products, in new locations such as Croatia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, and China for production facilities. We were very involved in a lot of the behind the scenes goings on. So yes, I have a clue what it all takes. I can tell you that in NONE of these did any of us EVER try to scam the customer the way these crooks have and seem to continue to do. We never lied to our customers making false claims that could not be met as they seem to - through each of their failed attempts at taking peoples startup money. If I seem harsh with my capital letters, it is because I have ZERO TOLERANCE for liars such as these.

Most reviews I see that state distance say 10-20 feet max - in an open room! - that matches my personal experience. How the hell is that going to help us find our phantoms??

Yes, I got a refund in about 2 nanseconds: I bought from ebay from a dealer in CA. He obviously knew that these were mostly fake units that did not deliver, so to keep HIS reputation, he INSTANTLY refunded my money - and told me to just throw them in the garbage!

I do not agree I am 'quick on the caps' to condemn these folks; I maintain they are frauds. It is my opinion. It is based on the many many many negative reviews I read previously. To double check just now, I again looked for reviews, and as expected, found many:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phonehalo.itemtracker&hl=en
2.5 rating

http://www.highya.com/trackr-reviews
1.5 rating

http://www.amazon.com/Smead-Stick-N-Find-Bluetooth-Location-Tracker/product-reviews/B00ENS17ZM
1.3 rating

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2013/11/06/wallettrackr-review/
all but one review say it does not work

I am sure you can find other reviews that say it works. But, really, will you really buy something that has more negative reviews than positive?

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like they updated their original unit that was less than $ 20 each.... I have the $18.00 one and used a 500mah rc battery on it so it will transmitt for a week or maybe 2 if needed. I did a full distance check on it laying on the forest floor and with my cheap Boefung radio could track it from about 3/4 mile away, then a mile with my tape measure yagi plugged in. It also let me FIND it directionally down to 10 feet away! fantastic device, but I wouldn't mind the audible beeper added....

I would not give up my RS232 programming capability on it tho; sounds like their new one is simply preprogrammed and not changable.

yorlik, I won't belabor the point, but I have 5 of these in various configurations. The older models aren't reliable. They work OK at short range, 50 ft max I'd say. Good for keys and such. The newer ones work better, but as I said, they aren't perfect. Yes, there are quiet a few negative reviews - I've seen more since this topic came up. I'd say they are lucky to be running 50/50 right about now.

We probably all know what the actual range of Bluetooth is and how it is affected by surroundings, etc. And I don't expect to be able to "Track" a quadcopter with one of these. I just mentioned that I'm going to give one of the new ones a try to help me find it should it become lost. Where I will be flying it I won't have the benefit of a large population running the app. So the hound dog approach would probably work just as well. Too bad my dog is getting old.
I've gotta say though, since I've been hanging around here reading posts, the negative reviews of DJI seem to be fairly common, so it's fair to say that no manufacturer is perfect all the time.

Reactions: yorlik
Glassman, I certainly will be very interested in your report after you get one of the new ones. I really wanted them to work, and perhaps, as they say, the third times the charm, so maybe it is time for them to hit a home run.

Reactions: Glassman
humm hey guys just making a note, i understand you have different opinions on the devices and all, but for the sake of this not turning into a internet argument.

So with these blue tooth devices, say instead of a chirp it uses the signal strength to give a ruff estimate of distance away from say your phone.

this is just to get ideas out and fine a easy, cheap and intuitive solution to this issue.

Reactions: Glassman
humm hey guys just making a note, i understand you have different opinions on the devices and all, but for the sake of this not turning into a internet argument.

So with these blue tooth devices, say instead of a chirp it uses the signal strength to give a ruff estimate of distance away from say your phone.

this is just to get ideas out and fine a easy, cheap and intuitive solution to this issue.

Don't worry, no argument from my perspective...just two guys discussing the merits of a new device....frankly speaking, I just threw this idea out there and the more feedback we get on different things the better informed we become.

If this device doesn't do the trick it's time to explore other options.

An "easy, cheap and intuitive solution to this issue." is exactly what I'm looking for too!

Keep the ideas coming. :cool:

We could strap the squawking chicken to the Phantom here in Wyoming. If someone in California did that, they would be watching themselves on the news from jail. LOL

So, since I may do some flying in the land of fruits and nuts... here's an alternative to the chicken.

Not sure how loud this is, but it's small and lightweight.
Anyone ever heard it?
https://www.pololu.com/product/1258

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4