Chicago

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will fly to Chicago soon. Any suggestions? Like if the city is UAV friendly? And where shall I bring my phantom with me? Looking forward to hearing from fellow forum members live in Chicago area or visited recently.

First time visiting Chicago. Guess not all places I go are suitable for phantom? Obviously like museums and dense downtown skyscrapers? But people say architecturally speaking Chicago is classic. So how shall I approach this?

Thanks a lot.

Go down by Navy Pier and other parks. I just visited there for my first time about a month ago. Here is the video I got. This was at 400ft. Not high at all compared to the sky scrapers. I also tried to take off from a harbor by Soldier Field, it wouldn't even let me spin the props up because its a no fly zone. Heres a screenshot of that also.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_0127.PNG

Fly Lincoln Park and Montrose Harbor. Nice places. All along the lakefront on the north side of town is great.

Might have to get down near the lakefront early one morning to get some flying in. The whole "don't fly over people/crowds" still has me leery...

Cricket Hill / Montrose is great. I fly on the lake just east of the Diversey driving range. I try not to fly on the weekends (packed). During the week in the morning before 7am is the best - empty. Same for Lincoln Park.

Might have to get down near the lakefront early one morning to get some flying in. The whole "don't fly over people/crowds" still has me leery...

Thanks again wotblake. Good to know. I will be there mid sept. But good to know there is a website for this type of info. But question just for arguement's sake: will 400 feet or below still ok or totally grounded. It is hard to follow all the events but personally I will try my best. Just saying would be hard to track. Until UAVs get on to internet live. And vendor provide service like that. LOL.

I use airmap.io. Gives up to date info on all events. Below 400 would not be okay. The Blue Angels often fly well under 200 feet. To give you an idea, here is a video I took on the lake front last year. I fly here all the time...

Thanks again wotblake. Good to know. I will be there mid sept. But good to know there is a website for this type of info. But question just for arguement's sake: will 400 feet or below still ok or totally grounded. It is hard to follow all the events but personally I will try my best. Just saying would be hard to track. Until UAVs get on to internet live. And vendor provide service like that. LOL.

next week im flying to chicago.
and still unsure if bring the p3

is it ok to fly on millenium/grant park?

according to dont fly drones here it is
Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 20.00.54.png

but what do locals say?

thanks!

Go early before/close to sunrise, you should have a chance. Otherwise it is constantly crowded and you will also have challenge calibrating compass so I don't think fly with crowd is a good/safe idea. Once security approach, your need to land and pack up.

These are from my trip last month, prior to the Soldier Field no-fly zone.

[youtube]-k643Bwq0t8[/youtube]

[youtube]SvsycD9okfc[/youtube]

I did a little bit of research on this forum and some people mentioned that police helicopters are flying low over the lakeside. Would somebody please tell me what would be a safe altitude to fly at? Is that well below 400 feet?

BTW. Is there any nice place to fly in the region between Chicago and Racine, Kenosha, Wisconsin?

Last edited:
I just got back from a short trip to Chicago. I thought it was difficult flying the drone due to the number of people around. Also the wind, in fact I almost lost my phantom into the lake due to the wind. I did manage to get a few good videos, here are two. If anyone is interested I identified some good isolated spots to film navy pier and the buckingham fountain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers