Chicago area?

I'm in the northwest suburbs too. I just got a P4. Some say you can fly at Busse woods, but the sign says you need to be a member of the Association of Model Airplane something. Is that a problem? Do you have to join? Seemed like a good place to fly. I'm FAA Registered, but nervous about having people get upset with me.. I've only flown once and very briefly. I just got it last Thursday. Sounds like there's lots of folks in the Northwest suburbs.

I'm in the northwest suburbs too. I just got a P4. Some say you can fly at Busse woods, but the sign says you need to be a member of the Association of Model Airplane something. Is that a problem? Do you have to join? Seemed like a good place to fly. I'm FAA Registered, but nervous about having people get upset with me.. I've only flown once and very briefly. I just got it last Thursday. Sounds like there's lots of folks in the Northwest suburbs.

There are some private AMA members only places around, I though about becoming a member.

Last time I checked the forest preserves are not owned by the AMA. I would fly it. What are they gonna do get smokey the bear? Just be respectful of the rules they have posted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

07275dbce7eee10eac01e14f371d9ea2.jpg

Adler planetarium in Chicago.

Actually ran into a fellow phantom pilot while there, though he wasn't on the forum yet. Pretty sure he will be soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

07275dbce7eee10eac01e14f371d9ea2.jpg

Adler planetarium in Chicago.

Actually ran into a fellow phantom pilot while there, though he wasn't on the forum yet. Pretty sure he will be soon enough

I want to fly downtown so bad. Was it hard finding a spot to park? I'm dying to film the skyline at night but there are always such shady characters down there at night.

Reactions: latinsoldier77
I want to fly downtown so bad. Was it hard finding a spot to park? I'm dying to film the skyline at night but there are always such shady characters down there at night.

Tbh I'm still nervous to go over land downtown, i.e. Buckingham fountain, millennium pk. I parked on Northerly island then walked over to the planetarium an took off from there. Stayed over water mainly. I'm getting more an more comfortable with it tho. Would be nice to check this same spot out at night as well...

I'm not a fan of Naperville people! You are just to close to Fry's Electronics! LMAO! :)
It's like an hour drive for me :(

Fry's is indeed a special place, although it's a half hour away for me. These days I do most of my drone shopping at Amazon!

Regarding forest preserves, etc.

They often require AMA membership to fly in the preserve or at a private club field because of the insurance provided by membership against liability claims in case of accidental damage.

AMA doesn’t own the preserve or the field but those who do ( government body or private club) require flyers to have the membership in the AMA.

Membership is cheap insurance covering literally millions of dollars in possible claims.

Cheers!

I’m in Skokie (work in wheeling so will be flying out that way when it gets light enough in evening)

Right now I’m flying in blue star memorial woods

Yoh need to name forest preserve as insured for $1m (StateFarm wouldn’t do it ) or join AMA. See here for permissible locations Model Airplanes & Drones - Forest Preserves of Cook County

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31