Chevron wants to prosecute me for trespassing

Hmmm.. we'll here's what I have to say.

Red = IMO, critical infrastructure. It doesn't look like an electrical hub, and I have no idea what it's for. But the fact that it had fans/vents means something important (like cooling or w/e). I mean they made that Yellowstone case a big deal when a drone flew into the hot spring. So I hope you get the idea.

Blue = The carpark I presume you were talking about.

Yellow = Where the hell is the guard station or something?! I've never been there before, but it looks like there is nothing blocking any ones way from coming in. I know the Mobil in Torrance has barricades and a guard station at their entrance.

That's what I think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 8.39.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 8.39.45 AM.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 410
Always know where you are filming. And expect that not everyone will know why or what you are doing.

That said a parking lot is NOT critical infrastructure. Looking at Google maps, I can see how one might mistakenly think that is a public road. It has a traffic light and there are no signs indicating it is private and secured property that I can see. Shouldn't critical infrastructure have a gate? Maybe even a padlock? What about a donut swilling guard asleep in a booth?

P.S. Chevron is a despicable company.

Same thing any lawyer will tell you if the police ever ASK you to come down to the police station and talk to them. Then that means they are looking for you to volunteer info that can be used against you to charge you and also means they dont have enough evidence to arrest you already and it never ever a good idea to talk to the police in that case. nothing you say can help you and can only end up passably incriminating your self. Even just saying you were there can be enough to charge you with some thing. Its also considered an admission of guilt if you even show up for ?ing being some one who did not do any thing wrong does not have any thing to even bother explaining any thing. Tell them no sorry and tell them if they need any info to call you attorney. Then your attorney will tell them no and basically tell them to not call you again and unless you are under arrest that you are not to go to the police station or to speak to them. If they already had enough to charge you they would not ASK you to come down and talk about it and its just a ruse to get you to talk to them even tho you have a right not to self incriminate your seelf and if you are already being charged they dont ASK you to come down.

As a retired auditor at a nuclear plant, I can see the company's concern. Not so much the video part but intentional or non-intentional collision to a vital part of the plant could be disastrous. As with a nuclear facility, you can only put up a fence and other structures in attempt to prevent unwanted access. A threat from the sky is something no one wants to think about. But if this was to go to litigation, does your video prove that you never crossed their plant boundary line? I know this sounds like a lecture, but I have had to start considering liability issues when flying. Video of a crowed beach makes for great entertainment, but what if a collision to person caused injury? See what I mean, and mine has my name and phone number all over it, yikes.

Thanks for answers!
It realy helps me - when I know that I am not alone.
When I started to film, I even did not know that it is oil refinery. I just wanted to catch a beautiful picture with industriall landscape for music video. After I bought DJI P2V+ I use every free minute for drive everywhere and film all beauty environment.
There was limited to fly zome - DJI iOS application did not allow to me to exceed 40 meters of height. So - I supposed it is possible to fly safety. Yes it was stupid but what is not stupid in our life? Actualy I understand - this is my fault.
Does anybody know good lawyer office in Santa Monica/ El Segundo / LA for hire a lawyer?

You say you have a court date but were you actually charged by the police? If so exactly what are the charges. Not knowing U.S. law but do you not have to be charged with something to be brought to court unless they are suing you in a civil court?

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
You say you have a court date but were you actually charged by the police? If so exactly what are the charges. Not knowing U.S. law but do you not have to be charged with something to be brought to court unless they are suing you in a civil court?

No, I just had a conversation with police, conversation with detective in police office, with FBI agent by phone. Now I have court date Sep 18 - they sent it to me by mail.

get in touch with that lawyer who set up the website. maybe he is droneguy. i am moble on my tablet at the momment so hard to provide links. also on monday join and then, as a member, contact the AMA.

I worked at the DWP Scattergood power plant (and a few others) and like chevron they protect themselves. I would point out the lack of signs prohibitting pictures, but that really doesn't matter if you fly into air space over their property. if you are a photographer, then be prepared to prove that. good luck and keep us posted. you are welcome to come hide out up here if you want. (look at my sig)

what are the charges on the court date document? Just tresspassing?

Can you show us a copy of the letter. You cant just be invited to court. If you havent been charged how can they summons you to court? Of course I am basing thus on laws here, ive had a few dealings with courts, police and judges which I dont really need to go into here ;)
But can someone here from the U.S. tell me how that works?
Does Helios need to be charged with an offence to be summoned to a criminal court or is this a civil suit?
Helios in most civilized parts of the world ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it but I would do as others have suggested, print off google map pics of exactly where you were, show them that there were no private property signs at the entrance to the chevron plant. Show them there were no security points to stop you. If it was a high security risk there should have been an onus on them stopping you from entering. You need to build up a really strong case to prove what you were doing was in innocence and that you just wanted to take some nice industrial pics. Maybe try show that it wasn't trespass because to trespass you must knowingly have done so in the first place. Its not like you cut through a chain link fence. You drove into a private road that wasn't marked as private. Check this legal definition of trespass that relates to the USA http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/trespass

Ok that's a summons for a pre-trial hearing. You do want to go and you do want representation.

At that hearing the judge will decide if a trial is justified, based on what both sides have to say at this point. They may decide it's pointless and throw it out, or they may decide to hear arguments at trial, in which case you'll need to appear again on whatever date is set for that.

The charge of trespassing may be valid technically, but those are hard to make stick if you left the property as soon as you were asked to.

Man that sucks. It's probably only a matter of time until the news media picks up this story and runs with it to spout more anti drone propaganda!

OI Photography said:
Ok that's a summons for a pre-trial hearing. You do want to go and you do want representation.

At that hearing the judge will decide if a trial is justified, based on what both sides have to say at this point. They may decide it's pointless and throw it out, or they may decide to hear arguments at trial, in which case you'll need to appear again on whatever date is set for that.

The charge of trespassing may be valid technically, but those are hard to make stick if you left the property as soon as you were asked to.

Oh that is better. Because I was very nice with guards and cops. I answered all questions, did what they asked and leave.

kydan said:
Man that sucks. It's probably only a matter of time until the news media picks up this story and runs with it to spout more anti drone propaganda!

I agree to you. It was my fault.
But I did not know that it is not allowed, I did not know that it is oil factory. Actually I guessed that it is water-clearing faciity.
Anyway, next time I will mind where I fly.

Helios said:
kydan said:

I agree to you. It was my fault.
But I did not know that it is not allowed, I did not know that it is oil factory. Actually I guessed that it is water-clearing faciity.
Anyway, next time I will mind where I fly.

I'm not pointing the finger at you. It's just the news media has a hard on for us and will turn it into something negative.

I like your ownership and wish you a speedy pass thru this crappy system.

Wedeliver said:
get in touch with that lawyer who set up the website. maybe he is droneguy. i am moble on my tablet at the momment so hard to provide links. also on monday join and then, as a member, contact the AMA.

I worked at the DWP Scattergood power plant (and a few others) and like chevron they protect themselves. I would point out the lack of signs prohibitting pictures, but that really doesn't matter if you fly into air space over their property. if you are a photographer, then be prepared to prove that. good luck and keep us posted. you are welcome to come hide out up here if you want. (look at my sig)

Can you send me the link or address how to find this lawyer?

I live in El Segundo.. Chevron runs this town.. sorry to hear about your troubles.. So now I live between 2 no fly zones.. the oil refinery and the airport..

Helios said:
Wedeliver said:

Can you send me the link or address how to find this lawyer?

Here is a link to a website of his. I hope you can run him down from this info. I also hope he is helpful. Please let us know how it goes. good luck

http://dronelawjournal.com/author/admin/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj