Checking Wind Speed and Other Conditions

Reaction score
I have learned (the hard way) that the wind on the ground and the wind at higher altitudes can be DRAMATICALLY different. I have been using UAV Forecast. What I did not realize, is that at some point (maybe when it updated?) it reverted its default height from 400' (my setting) to 33'. The day I learned my lesson, the wind on the ground was undetectable. The wind at my flight altitude (just under 400') was over 20mph. I used 15% of my battery to get to my destination and the rest to make it 2/3 of the way home. Now, I check at ground, 33', 100', 150', 250', 300', and 400' before I even take it out of the case.

This is from my screen recorder so pardon the shi77y audio. I hope this can help someone out there before they learn the way I did. By not making it home, I created the potential for all kinds of problems; drone loss/damage, property damage, injury. Luckily, none of that happened. I got my bird back with no damage. The guy whose yard I landed in was fine with it. No one was outside near the area I landed so no one got hurt. I didn't damage anything. But, it could have been WAY worse. I have flown that route before and made it home with over 50% battery with no worries.

Gotta be aware of the wind!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: SirAchie
love that app is so much better than b4ufly one

Wind is an interesting subject for pilots.

It backs and veers, rises up slopes in the AM and fall down slopes during the PM. It is vertical and horizontal. It is erratic when flowing between obstacles. It is seldom the same speed or direction as it is at ground level.

Yep - I check uavforecast before every flight - not only wind speed at 400' but also direction. And I plan my flight accordingly. If I have it set at 400', it usually stays there when I check a day or two later...

Yep - I check uavforecast before every flight - not only wind speed at 400' but also direction. And I plan my flight accordingly. If I have it set at 400', it usually stays there when I check a day or two later...

Yes. It seems to stay wherever I last checked it (altitude). I was going to fly this morning. Conditions were good up to 150 feet. At 150+ wind went from 18mph and higher so I didn't fly.

Anyone know where that app gets its winds aloft forecast data?

Most of these apps use mathematical algorithms to calculate upper level aid speeds and most all have a delay of up to 20 minutes. I like the 'MyRadar' iOS app. They just added wind speeds/direction and they also have 'aviation layers' which shows sigmets, airmets, TFR's, etc.

Anyone know where that app gets its winds aloft forecast data?
In the USA they are likely taken from the Aviation Weather Center winds aloft from daily individual airport launched balloons and radiosondes.

AWC - Forecast Winds and Temps Aloft

In Canada from the winds aloft generated the same way from AWWS via NavCanada.

AWWS - Upper Winds (text, FD)

For detailed and deeper(more than you want to know)see skew T charts and radiosondes..........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers