Checking props?

Reaction score
i understand any kind of damage, scuff scrape etc means throw a prop away.

My question is what do you look for and how **** do you need to be.

My phantom landed on uneven surface and tipped forward. I didn't see it but I think the blades had almost if not completely stopped. Two front blades were on the grass

Now I've checked them over and I can't see and chunks or scrapes or scuffs. But when running finger down then you can feel it's not 100% perfectly smooth. Is that normal?

I'm edging toward yes because I've checked the other blades now some are almost perfectly smooth but others are not.

I would do the most conservative thing and swap out with known good. In my opinion they are cheap and not worth taking a chance on. If you had the props stop while powered due to a prop strike, take a good look at the attachment hubs on the motors and make sure they are still tight with no play.

Doesn't sound like they took much of a hit. It's kind of a personal choice. The "dirtier" your props the more vibration you will have (jello affect in your vid's) and it will likely affect your flight times/speeds/performance.

If I were in your shoes.. I would closely inspect for any cracks or stress points. Check the hub threads and collar and throw them on the balancer. Changes in their balance can be an indication they might have taken a good hit, but may still be more than useable. I'm a little picky about my props. I would sand out any "rough" patches so that all 4 props have as nearly identical characteristics as possible.

If they don't show any visible stress and balance out, I would toss them back on, crank the motors over and observe for a minute or two. If that checks, I would put it in a hover and again observe for a minute or two.. check the video feed... if all appears well... I would do a hard ascent and sudden descent a couple of times (6m or so). Well within "catching" distance in case a prop flies. Be ready on the stick to cut the motors on the way down. If all that checked... I wouldn't hesitate to keep them in service.

All that being said, I also know folks that will toss a set of props with ANY kind of hit. I put a lot of time into a new set of props and don't mind spending more to "salvage" a perfectly good set.

Stictly my own opinions.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Thanks for the replies,

ive checked everything out and looks fine, tbh think mi being ocd,

i think the reason it tipped was because the proprs stopped all the while the motors were spinning was holding it level on a uneven surface, as soon as they motors stopped it just tipped forward, onto grass, forest land also, if it was concrete may have been different, but not even a scuff on the props so i think im all good,

Trouble is with these things you always want to baby the hell out of it...

[QUOTE="Dazzauk, post: 1178254, member: 83580"Trouble is with these things you always want to baby the hell out of it...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! It's always good to error on the side of caution. No reason to risk a $1000+ investment over a cheap set of props, but also have to use a little common sense. No reason to throw away $20 either.

Reactions: Dazzauk
[QUOTE="Dazzauk, post: 1178254, member: 83580"Trouble is with these things you always want to baby the hell out of it...

Absolutely! It's always good to error on the side of caution. No reason to risk a $1000+ investment over a cheap set of props, but also have to use a little common sense. No reason to throw away $20 either.[/QUOTE]

Well said :)

Set of blades 15$, dead phantom due to a crash 1500$.
Could be a micro fracture in just one of those blades and it takes 20 flights to fail, but when it does the drone will dead drop to the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20