Checking a Phantom for airplane flight

Reaction score
So I'm on the fence as to whether or not to check my phantom and bring it with me on vacation. What's the story with doing this? Last time I flew I saw signs about not bringing lithium batteries but I have to think every camera every phone and every laptop has one.

I have the DJI backpack etc so I'm not so much worried about it being damaged as I am about it being refused to be flown.

Tons of threads on this.

You can't check lithium batteries, they need to go carry on. You can check your Phantom but I'd highly recommend against it. It's carry it on as well. Place tape over the connectors on the batteries.

not bringing lithium batteries
Phantom batteries are under the limit for LiPos (I think) and as long as you DO NOT CHECK IN the batteries (must be in carry-on so that they can be extinguished easily if they combust) you should be good. Not 100% sure but that is what I remember from other member's discussions.
Look at this video for more info:

And has anybody had issues with them thinking the drone is "something you shouldn't bring on a plane" etc?

And has anybody had issues with them thinking the drone is "something you shouldn't bring on a plane" etc?
No ... the airport folks see these every day of the week and the Phantom isn't on the list of things they are on the lookout for.
Here's what the FAA has to say on the matter: Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)
And their guide for passengers: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Check your airline's website and search there for batteries to see what they recommend.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20