Checked luggage or carry-on?

Reaction score
For those who travel with their Phantom, do you check you case or do you bring it on the plane? Planning a winter getaway and of course I want to bring my P2 but I'm not sure if i should trust the airline company to handle it properly. On the other hand, it's a bit of a bulky case to carry with me inside the airport and the plane.

Carry it on.

It's safer for the Phantom, and it is actually in accordance to airline policy (if you're also packing the batteries in the case, which I assume you are).

Many of the latest cases have wheels and extension handles, prime for carry on. Though I'm betting you already own a case without, so that doesn't really help ya.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I always check mine and put the batteries I'm carry on. I flew with it about 12 times this year already with no issues. If they ask what it is I just say a remote control not a drone never had a problem

I check mine regularly - in a large pelican case. Some airlines have issues with the number of spare LiPo's you can carry. Project depending, I always take at least 4. I prefer to check it because the case has a lot of spares and tools in it.

I do remove the props, pull the remote batteries, and add an extra pad on top of the housing to ensure it's pretty tight.

huntflyer said:
I check mine regularly - in a large pelican case. Some airlines have issues with the number of spare LiPo's you can carry. Project depending, I always take at least 4. I prefer to check it because the case has a lot of spares and tools in it.

I do remove the props, pull the remote batteries, and add an extra pad on top of the housing to ensure it's pretty tight.

Note that FAA rules say that it's OK to check the Phantom with a battery it in, but spare batteries must be in your carry-on.

From FAA Policy:

Q2. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage?
A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also
allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered
devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare
lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage.

Just come back from overseas with mine and had it in a vanguard uprise 48 backpack fits in no problem easy to carry and very inconspicuous easy for overhead check in and was never out of my site. Only time got asked to open my bag was when security guard at the airport wanted to show his mate he was getting one .

Great input thanks. I like the backpack idea. Easier to carry than a hard case. The other reason I'm reluctant to check the hard case is that some most airlines now ask for steep fees when you check luggage, especially for the second piece. Up to $100 from what I've seen. That makes for an expensive trip. Found some decent backpack online for the Phantom around $75.

I just flew with mine and carried it on - with the batteries in my second carry on (backpack) in a liposafe bag. Both to and from Cleveland I got some questions that were just curiosity - and in Orlando they swabbed the heli for (I am assuming) explosive residue.

I called it a drone (didn't really think about it) and the only response I got was - that's cool.

My take is, just expect there to be a little extra scrutiny because they don't see it every day. Be pleasant and answer their questions. I would bet that the majority of people who run into any issue at all, are putting off an attitude.

Was a great trip... my case fit perfectly into the overhead compartment. Have fun!

I have a Pelican and store 3 extra batteries and one in the P2. Southwest had no problem with checked baggage. (Pretty heavy and bulky for carry on.) I might be wrong but aren't all portable computers and tablets LiPo's??

bschaub said:
I have a Pelican and store 3 extra batteries and one in the P2. Southwest had no problem with checked baggage. (Pretty heavy and bulky for carry on.) I might be wrong but aren't all portable computers and tablets LiPo's??
Lithium-ion usually.

resurrecting this thread - I am about to go on a trip and I want to bring both my P3P's as having a spare on this trip is important to me. I am going to carry one on with ALL the batteries (I have flown with all these batteries and the Phantom before with no issue) - I just want to see if people take any additional precautions with the Phantom they are checking as luggage? Do you just put on the gimbal lock? I was thinking of also adding some bubble wrap around it just for added security.... I have this case to use for checking it on... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM39PTE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

So I feel fairly confident the Phantom and controller will be ok.... just want to double check that people haven't had issues with broken Phantoms with cases like this being checked....

Thanks!
Alex

For those who travel with their Phantom, do you check you case or do you bring it on the plane? Planning a winter getaway and of course I want to bring my P2 but I'm not sure if i should trust the airline company to handle it properly. On the other hand, it's a bit of a bulky case to carry with me inside the airport and the plane.

I always carry it on... If you're in the US, it's actually against FAA regs to check Lithium batteries.

resurrecting this thread - I am about to go on a trip and I want to bring both my P3P's as having a spare on this trip is important to me. I am going to carry one on with ALL the batteries (I have flown with all these batteries and the Phantom before with no issue) - I just want to see if people take any additional precautions with the Phantom they are checking as luggage? Do you just put on the gimbal lock? I was thinking of also adding some bubble wrap around it just for added security.... I have this case to use for checking it on... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM39PTE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

So I feel fairly confident the Phantom and controller will be ok.... just want to double check that people haven't had issues with broken Phantoms with cases like this being checked....

Thanks!
Alex
That looks like a nice case, Alex. I'd use a rubber band around the gimbal lock to ensure it stays put. Also, make sure the case is vented to prevent crushing on descent.
Happy travels, my friend!

Reactions: Buckaye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik