Check UAV forecast before each flight!

Reaction score
Did a short test flight today, to test out the waypoint function in Litchi.

Two hours before i checked UAV Forecast and all was green and GTG, but before this flight i did´n bother checking, believing it could´n have changed in such a short time, but....

As you can see from the screenshot, the GPS signals was all low, and somewhere WP Juliet, it went into ATTI mode!

Luckily it went straight into RTH mode and came back home.
IMG_4734.PNG Skærmbillede 2016-09-11 kl. 15.41.52.png

Reactions: Buddie Lee
I've checked this site from time to time, but personally think checking the local weather forecast for wind speeds and rain probability is just as good. If the local weather is good, don't think the UAV forecast site is going to put a damper on my day. But that being said, their app does look cool. I just might download it and give it a try.

You might want to try Avia Weather (Android app) too. this will download and decode the current METAR and TAF reports for the airports that you have in your lists. I have the local public airport and the nearby AFB. Nice thing about this app is that it will give you visibility, official cloud heights and coverage as well as confirming that current conditions are VFR. I copy the current METAR report into my log to show that conditions were 'legal' when i flew.

Did a short test flight today, to test out the waypoint function in Litchi.

Two hours before i checked UAV Forecast and all was green and GTG, but before this flight i did´n bother checking, believing it could´n have changed in such a short time, but....

As you can see from the screenshot, the GPS signals was all low, and somewhere WP Juliet, it went into ATTI mode!

Luckily it went straight into RTH mode and came back home.
View attachment 64538 View attachment 64539

Not sure what you mean here.

Why does your app say you can't fly with 10 satellites?

I don't understand why it would go to ATTI mode if it still had adequate satellites?

What does any of this have to do with RTH?

But yeah, last week I checked uavforecast and it said winds were 15 mph at 400' increasing to 16 mph within the hour, but 10 mins later I checked again and it was saying winds were 19 mph at 400'

The reason one might be inclined to favor uavforecast over a normal weather forecast is uavforecast will give a forecast of windspeed at various altitudes of your choosing

I have looked at the app's the folks have showed in here but never in over 2 years used one . I just use my head .
I stick it out the door and it's raining or not and as far as wind I will go straight up and get in atti to see what it's doing as far as speed and direction .
That solar stuff has never in over 500 flight's with my P3's been any issue and can't count the flights with my P2's .
80% of my flight's have just been straight out and back .
I try and not overthink when I fly and just rely on my gut .
Knock on wood it's worked so far .

I have looked at the app's the folks have showed in here but never in over 2 years used one . I just use my head .
I stick it out the door and it's raining or not and as far as wind I will go straight up and get in atti to see what it's doing as far as speed and direction .
That solar stuff has never in over 500 flight's with my P3's been any issue and can't count the flights with my P2's .
80% of my flight's have just been straight out and back .
I try and not overthink when I fly and just rely on my gut .
Knock on wood it's worked so far .

I have the app also, but now that you mention it, I have never used it to check weather before a flight. Just head out the door forecasting. Time to delete it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have the app also, but now that you mention it, I have never used it to check weather before a flight. Just head out the door forecasting. Time to delete it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
You don't have no hair on top of your's ether huh :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31