Check this out,,,http://dronelife.com/2015/11/20/intel-warns-faa-drone-regs-may-drive-them-overseas/

"........... It is possible to both improve safety and promote American innovation involving advances in drone technology. However, a federal government approach that is overly prescriptive regarding the deployment of new hardware and software will deter the private sector’s ability to invent and compete in the marketplace. Worse, it will drive us to relocate our business planning and R&D overseas, where we are being welcomed by foreign countries eager for investment in this new technology area.

Emphasizing that regulators should focus on technology innovations rather than rules to increase safety, Mr. Walden listed the many safety innovations that Intel has invested in, including the PrecisionHawk Pathfinder research for flight beyond line of sight, and Intel’s own “RealSense” technology which allows better depth perception in imaging. He then called for a “flexible regulatory framework” which would categorize drones appropriately according to size and purpose, and apply rules accordingly. “This flexible regulatory framework should recognize that there are a wide variety of devices that fall under the definition of UAVs,” Walden said. “A hobbyist’s small quad copter should not necessarily be governed by the same regulations as plane size platforms...............”

Yep! Leave it to the .gov to want to restrict first and ask questions later! Intel is dropping millions into drone technology, as are many other companies. We are on the the cutting edge of this stuff, and the only thing that can kill it is an overly-restrictive government bureaucracy full of regulations, taxes and ignorant politicians in charge of it. Those of you of voting age should be sending letters to your representatives NOW!!

Reactions: 750r and JKDSensei
I would say this is an outcome that would be preferred by the current dissadminstration.

Intel moving offshore would be a win-win for Mr.Obama imo

Reactions: 750r and BigAl07
I'm not sure how "registration" will drive the business over seas. It will need to be registered "At time of first use" regardless where it is manufactured or sold.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: ianwood
Intel is saying they are sick and tired of government intervention. This is probably about more than drones and is just the last straw and I don't blame them one bit.

LOTS of companies are moving to Ireland and elsewhere because they are fed up with the US government crawling up their..........

I'm not sure how "registration" will drive the business over seas. It will need to be registered "At time of first use" regardless where it is manufactured or sold.

Am I missing something?
It's not about registration per se, it's the red tape and government involvement in the company deploying new hardware and software. They need concrete definitions and procedures in place to at least know what they're up against. As it is, any recommendation, definition, rule or law can be changed overnight, it seems! And the definitions of different types and classes of MR's and fixed-wing craft are not set. They're saying it's hard to invest and create with a wishy-washy government regulator interfering with silly rules, recommendations and asinine laws meant for manned aircraft.

Basically.

Am I missing something?

I think you're mis-reading "regs" as "registrations" when the word is "regulations."

Reactions: BigAl07
I would say this is an outcome that would be preferred by the current dissadminstration.

Intel moving offshore would be a win-win for Mr.Obama imo

Intel has been conducting much of their business overseas for several administrations now. They are simply lobbying the FAA for preference much like Amazon did months ago. It has little to do with the current administration.

The FAA Modernization Act of 2012 is the only legislative effort by the current administration which instructed the FAA to update their regulations to clear the way for commercial use of drones in the NAS. The FAA has failed to achieve their deadlines.

If you refer to the recent congressional hearing on the FAA's progress (or lack thereof), you will see that it was Cory Booker (D - New Jersey) who chastised the FAA for not meeting their deadlines and how it was negatively impacting business opportunities for commercial use.

I think you're mis-reading "regs" as "registrations" when the word is "regulations."
BINGO! Apparently I have too many browser windows open or I can't read.

You are exactly right Mark. It's funny how once the mind sees something (even if it's incorrect) it will continue to see it (read it) that way over and over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan