Check out this guy's near miss with RTH

Is the App crashing a common occurrence?
I don't think it's common but it does happen. Keep in mind that the app crashing did not cause any of the persons issues. He made MANY mistakes. Default low battery warming is 30 percent which still gives plenty of time to land. However, he was driving away from his home point. Th Phantom knows how much power is needed to RTH so it started pretty quick. The OP could have simply flipped the atti switch and regained control to land. The flier was flying in the middle of a ton of trees. He also should have been able to relaunch the app and stopped the RTH.

Is the App crashing a common occurrence?

It can be on Android devices, depending. I've not had the lag or crashing issues on my Android tablet but only after I downgraded Google Play Services...before that it was unusable.

My more powerful phone can run the app without that workaround (it still gets hot from the high CPU usage) but it will misbehave, lose video or crash at various times. So I try not to use it. I'm not going to downgrade Google Play Services on that as Gmail/ Maps etc won't run with the older version.

Not sure if there are stability issues on the IOS platform - I have seen reports of lag.

EDIT: Spelling (all thumbs)

Last edited:
It can be on Android devices, depending. I've not had the lag or crashing issues on my Android tablet but only after I downgraded Google Play Services...before that it was unusable.

My more powerful phone can run the app without that workaround (it still gets hot from the high CPU usage) but it will misbehave, lose video or crash at various times. So I try not to use it. I'm not going to downgrade Google Play Services on that as Gmail/ Maps etc won't run with the older version.

Not sure if there are stability issues on the IOS platform - I have seen reports of lag.

EDIT: Spelling (all thumbs)
How do you downgrade Google play??

How do you downgrade Google play??

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this possible workaround.

Reactions: fhk
The best retort to that is from Gary McCord

And so are screen doors...
Funny, I did not know he said that, but that had always been my retort as well. Trees frequently have more of a screen door effect in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: g00se
Good to see RTH doing it's job, very lucky!

One of the first things I do when I get my bird in the air is get higher than everything else and set the RTH from there. Important setting.

Reactions: TimBarnhart
1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this possible workaround.
Seems to have worked. Now shows version 5.0.89

Seems to have worked. Now shows version 5.0.89

Cool. It's a messy workaround but seems to claw back enough resources to allow the DJI Pilot app to run without pushing your device beyond its limits. The app is a real CPU hog and hopefully its something they can address very soon.

IF this ever happens to anyone you can set the toggle over to ATTI and take manual control!!!

IF this ever happens to anyone you can set the toggle over to ATTI and take manual control!!!

True. I imagine the vast majority of P3 buyers would not know that, unless you read the forums, and the PAF switch isn't enabled by default.

These guys looks fairly new to it, and with the wind blowing the way it was, they may still have lost control with ATTI.

Atti may not be a good choice if you don't have visual or video feed but in this case he probably had time. I think the term atti is somewhat confusing as it is the F setting on the controller.

Last edited:
He could have held the RTH button on the RC for 2 or 3 seconds and it would have cancelled the RTH.

I'm sure glad that his P3P did not suffer any "dammage". ;)

Weird, on my original Phantom 3 box there is a red rectangle. Inside of it they printed 18+

has anyone asked how this thing hit trees and recovered? Wouldnt the contact with props, with no free air freefall, cause an immediate tumble?

Can anyone with a Galaxy S 8.4 tell me what was the oldest google play service version. Mine currently is 6.7.77. Is this the oldest or the newest? I tried reverting back to the old but forgot what version was the new.

Can anyone with a Galaxy S 8.4 tell me what was the oldest google play service version. Mine currently is 6.7.77. Is this the oldest or the newest? I tried reverting back to the old but forgot what version was the new.
As far as I can tell the process just reverts it back to whatever version your tablet came with originally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31