Cheapy tablet that works?

Reaction score
New here, just ordered me a Phantom Advanced :)

Pleased to meet ya all!

Can anyone give me any advice on cheapo tablets ( I have searched the forum but only managed to find info that was a bit dated).

I'm not into tablets, or phones, and frankly don't want to spend several hundred on either. I'm looking for something cheap (will be dedicated to use with the phantom) of 8 to 9 inches. I'm hoping to use the follow me function to get the Phantom to follow my sailboat so need something with GPS.

Can anybody recommend any cheap tablets that are known to work with the Phantom 3 software and that have GPS. I thought I was onto something with the 8 inch Chuwi tablets at Banggood
chuwi tablet - Buy Cheap chuwi tablet - From Banggood
but it seems they have no GPS...

Anybody know of any that cheapos that work?

Reactions: whitelineNI
Acer Iconia Tab 8....bout 100 bucks.

Looked into the Nexus 7, bit more expensive here and I'm thinking the screen might be a bit small for me.

Acer Iconia eh. Excuse my tablet ignorance, but is this the model that 'should' work fine with the software?

Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840 16GB, Wi-Fi, 8in - silver Tablet as new cond.

This model only seems to have 1 gig of ram according to the box where as it says 2gig on the Phantom help page list..

Last edited:
Yeah, the Android devices that nobody seems to complain about are that one, and the Nexus 7 2nd gen.

I found a thread where someone was saying the Iconia wont work after the latest DJI update. The Shields are way more expensive here, seems I can get a new Nexus 7 from the UK or the US, posted for "heaps" cheaper than I can buy one here and it seems like the most cost effective option.

Reckon I'll see how I go with that,,, 7 inch screen is going to annoy me though I'm sure...

Thanks for the advice all :)

Proscan 10" quad core, 1GB DDR RAM, 1.3 GHz 8803 CORTEX A8, on 4.4 Kit-Kat.

$75 from Amazon. Amazon.com: Proscan 10-Inch Tablet, Quad Core, 1 GB RAM, Built in Bluetooth and GPS, Android 4.4 Kit-Kat, Google Play Certified: Computers & Accessories

Works great, is Google Play certified, has a GPS, takes 32GB SD card to add to the 8GB it comes with, fits the P3P holder perfectly (is very light and ultra thin) ... and has an HDMI out!!
I have also a Tali H500 (that has a much less video latency than my P3P) and it shows a video lag of well under 1/2 a second.

The battery spec's are incorrect, or possibly for the older version. (???)
I streamed Netflix videos for just under 9 hours straight on 3 different ones, and still had more than 10% battery left on each of them.
They lasts for days on standby.

I also just bought an advanced 3 and purchased the nexus 7. Works like a champ. Only had one
Flight so far , but it worked with no issues. Safe Flying

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO. Paid $160 USD.

All the samsung tablets have GPS chips in them (wifi only versions) which is why I went with the Samsung line. I only use it for the drone so I didn't care to get anything awesome to use outside flying.

Guys, thanks again for all your input, I would have given that proscan a go but they don't have them here and would cost $150 posted. However I'v found a cheapo unit that seems to have it all. Reckon I'll give it a try, and if it don't like the Phantom, I'll throw it to my son who smashed his tablet the other day.
10.1" inch Quad Core Android 4.4 Dual Cam Tablet PC 16GB Dual Sim Wifi 3G GPS

cheers
Paul

Paul, that should work great ... and the price is right too! :)

For others that can use Amazon without those shipping charges .... and that are looking for a large format (10") once again ....the $75 Proscan 'does' have an HDMI output, so at $25 less than buying only the DJI HDMI controller back, you get both a thin lightweight droid tablet with HDMI .... and no need to take your transmitter apart. ;)
A consideration if planning on using HDMI for goggles/external monitors, etc.

Last edited:
And just in case anyone else happens across this - This tablet will not work with the DJI Go app. It lags badly and the minute I tried to record with it, it crashed...

Oh well, back to the drawing board, It is quite painful having a new P3 and not being able to fly it..........

And just in case anyone else happens across this - This tablet will not work with the DJI Go app. It lags badly and the minute I tried to record with it, it crashed...

Oh well, back to the drawing board, It is quite painful having a new P3 and not being able to fly it..........
You don't need a tablet to fly ;)

One other thing you might want to be sure you get on your tablet is a COMPASS. You might think if it has GPS it has a compass, but that is not necessarily so.

Yes well the tablet arrived yesterday and I got so desperate last night that when the app crashed when I went to use it that I thought blow it, I'm getting a bit of flying in anyway, and so finally had a flight! Having only flown the cheapy toy quads, I was needless to say, blown away!

But I'm a little concerned because it seems to have a poor radio signal half of the time, even when its 5 feet away from me, and I don't want to play too much until I have a screen I can look at, and see what's happening with that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj