cheap range boosters

Yes, they really do work.

Reactions: konidair
I have those. Photos show them on upside down :) I add rubber bands at the top to keep them from sliding off when I bend down to fidget with the drone.
073ec8b8f6eb6388764b70f777b09f67.jpg

Yes, they absolutely work. Keep in mind they are directional. Must keep them pointed toward your bird, especially if flying high overhead.

NoCo Drones

Reactions: treeboy
From what I read on this site...apparently...surprisingly...yes

Why surprisingly?

It's science, and it works everywhere.

I have those. Photos show them on upside down :) I add rubber bands at the top to keep them from sliding off when I bend down to fidget with the drone.
073ec8b8f6eb6388764b70f777b09f67.jpg

Yes, they absolutely work. Keep in mind they are directional. Must keep them pointed toward your bird, especially if flying high overhead.

NoCo Drones
Hey FLASH, that parabolic dish will work better if it's parallel to the antenna, spaced 3/4" away, the full length of the antenna. Most of the windsurfers have two antenna hold arms per antenna to keep it parallel.

Unfortunately yours doesn't support optimal alignment.

Here's what I recommend to keep things aligned. Not only do the top and bottom arms hold things perfectly parallel for efficiency, this model folds like a clamshell, making it easy to store. Also, since the folding hinge keeps the two halves together, it also keeps the antenna's parallel with each other also, optimizing signal integrity. No rubberbands are needed.

upload_2016-11-8_12-39-50.png

Last edited:
They're cheap, easy to store and carry, and simple to install without tools. The downside is negligible. The potential upside is significant.

plus one..

I did a test with my P3A and was only able to get 1,800 feet before video cut out with stock antenna. I then put on the DIY Tom's Tech Time Windsurfer's and I was able to get 6,022ft before video cut out. In both tests the RC signal never cut out and had full bars. I got my Ebay foldable Windsurfer's today. I will try to get a test in today.

Reactions: MrTommy
You can see a direct correlation of signal strength in the bars for the CONTROL TRANSMIT signal and the VIDEO RECEIVE signal when you slip the parabolic dish onto the antenna's. If I wander away too far and get a weak signal I reach in my backpack and grab the Windsurfer and slip it on. You immediately see an increase in signal strength, assuming you are pointing the dish at your craft. In ATTI and P mode the radar screen will tell you where to point your radio if you have lost track of it. In the Litchi app, you see actual signal strength numbers, instead of bars in the DJI GO app. I like the numbers better, displayed in Litchi.

upload_2016-11-8_12-33-46.png
upload_2016-11-8_12-34-10.png

I did a test with my P3A and was only able to get 1,800 feet before video cut out with stock antenna. I then put on the DIY Tom's Tech Time Windsurfer's and I was able to get 6,022ft before video cut out. In both tests the RC signal never cut out and had full bars. I got my Ebay foldable Windsurfer's today. I will try to get a test in today.
Madman, try choosing a custom channel in the HD settings. Then reduce the transmission quality level to the minimum, 4mbps. You should see better range using that. My P3 goes over 2miles easy with windsurfer, assuming the channel is clear. Usually Ch22 is the least busy in most places, however I usually fly Ch 30 using the 32ch hack.

Madman, try choosing a custom channel in the HD settings. Then reduce the transmission quality level to the minimum, 4mbps. You should see better range using that. My P3 goes over 2miles easy with windsurfer, assuming the channel is clear. Usually Ch22 is the least busy in most places, however I usually fly Ch 30 using the 32ch hack.

Do you use Go or Litchi? In Litchi I can choose 0-31. I will give it a try. I have not tested the new WS's. They are pretty nice and fit well.

I have the Skyreat copper windsurfers I got off of Amazon, and yes, they really work.

One great thing is that they now sell copper windsurfers at Best Buy stores. I handled them there but I forgot now the company name. However, they are a known name company, but again, I just can't remember.

Generally I usually fly with GO. I use Litchi for special shoots.

I did the 32ch mod and it added 1-8ch but does not seem to have added 22-32? In Go if I select a channel 1-21 there is a little blue marker but if I select above 21 there is nothing?

Just FYI, I think I remember now that the windsurfers sold at Best Buy are by PolarPro.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic