Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Cheap Monitor Solution?

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by jjb4, Feb 9, 2015.

1. jjb4

Hi,

I've got a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D gimbal and GoPro Hero 4 Black attached, I've been flying for a while now and I think it's time for me to step up to get FPV onboard and I can't wait. I do really want the goggles but I've got other things my money needs to be spent on. So for the time being, I'm looking to get a monitor setup on a budget. I already have the mini iOSD. I think I just need a receiver and transmitter and of course a display.

I've been trying to educate myself and people say to keep away from 'blue screen' monitors? I'm guessing that means when it looses signal the screen will go blue? I've seen these type of monitors http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-7-Inch ... tAodClcAGg but I don't know if they are much cop. Anyone have any advice for something in this price region?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

2. dptcalvin

I would suggest a monitor with a built-in receiver like the Boscam RX-LCD5802 or Black Pearl RC801.

3. dptcalvin

4. QYV

QYV

great suggestion ;)

jjb4 are you starting from scratch or do you have components already? what displays you can use depend on what transmitter you get, different manufacturers use different frequency sets so that decides which displays you can use.

"no blue" receivers: think of it like analog vs digital.. with digital, as soon as there isn't enough signal for a solid picture, it just goes blank/blue.
    "no blue" receiver is more like analog... means as the signal degrades, you'll get snow and the image will be hard to see, but it'll display whatever image it gets even if it's mostly snow. These receivers are preferable in FPV application so that you maintain your picture even when the signal starts to degrade. all the receivers linked in the thread and that people recommend here are no-blue.

5. jjb4

Hi, in terms of FPV setup I only have the iOSD mini. I'm just unsure of the setup I should go with for a stable setup thats reasonably priced.

Thanks for both of your comments.

6. dptcalvin

TS353
    Plug n Play cable
    RX-LCD5802

Upgrade antennas when your budget allows.

Done.

7. QYV

QYV

yea this is pretty much the most budget conscious setup, not counting antennas. The equipment dptcalvin recommends (I have the same) is easily a 2km+ rig with good antennas. If you want to cut a further corner there's a non-diversity display compatible with Boscam frequencies for around $80 (instead of $130-140 for the RX-LCD5802) linked in the stickythread

8. jjb4

Thanks for all the replies, it's put me on the right track to finding a nice budget solution!

9. landmannnn

You know you want goggles. Go buy a pair rather than the interim solution... As for paying for it, that's what they invented credit cards for!