Cheap GPS Tracker till Flytrex is Available

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my makeshift GPS tracker on my Phantom 3 in case it helps anyone else.

Back in July last year, I bought this little tracker to give me reassurance on finding my P2V+ should it fly off into the distance, intended as a stop gap till the original Flytrex 2G was released. I decided to dig it out of a box and make use of it again seeing as the new P3 3G Flytrex is probably a good 2 months away.

The full eBay name of the device I bought is: "TK102 B Mini Spy Car Real-Time Tracker For Vehicle GPRS GPS Tracking Device" (or just search for TK102B)

It works by sending its GPS position via SMS texts, which you can activate before each flight. I've flown a few times now with this attached and can confirm its accuracy and reliability. It doesn't interfere with control or signal, and I positioned it opposite to the compass module.

I attached it to my Phantom 3 using velcro as seen in the pictures below. I used a one-side sticky velcro on the GPS device, and a two-sided velcro strip to attach the unit in-between and wrapped around the legs. I then used a smaller strip to pinch the velcro together to make it tighter on the legs.

thumb_IMG_3494_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3495_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3496_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3497_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jwchess and F6Rider
Thanks for posting this. What service are you using, and how much is it costing you?
I have a little tracker that I bought as well, but it is not yet activated. I'm going to try going the Tmobile "free 200mb" route, but I hear it's pretty difficult to actually pull that deal off successfully.

I've been wondering how I will mount the GPS tracker once I do get it working. Are there any other solutions out there that people have found for mounting to the P3?

The good thing about this is that data isn't required as it works via SMS messages. The text messages display Lat, Long, Speed, Time, Battery, and a google maps link which you can click on to show you it's position on a map.

I'm using GiffGaff Pay as you Go in the UK, which costs 6p per text.

Thanks for the link, for $20 and a pay as you go sim card this is low cost insurance for tracking your quad. I like that it saves the tracking positions when it has signal loss and then sends the saved data when it gets the signal back. 50g is a bit heavy but not to bad. I think I will be able to mount it on top of the gimbal guard with luck.

Last edited:
Did you calibrate after added weight to one side? Might want to consider this.
What type of calibration do you mean? IMU is done on a flat surface, same for gimbal, and compass calibrate just orientates the bird - can't think what else you'd need to do?
Also I'd have thought the Phantom just compensates for the weight as if it was flying in a side wind?

Thanks for posting this. What service are you using, and how much is it costing you?
I have a little tracker that I bought as well, but it is not yet activated. I'm going to try going the Tmobile "free 200mb" route, but I hear it's pretty difficult to actually pull that deal off successfully.

I've been wondering how I will mount the GPS tracker once I do get it working. Are there any other solutions out there that people have found for mounting to the P3?

Not that hard to start the Tmobile deal, the trick is to keep it working if you don't have access to their network. It requires you to log into their network every 30 days to keep it working. Not a problem if you have a Tmobile phone or other wireless service but not good if you don't. I finally bit the bullet and went with H2O Wireless plan. I bought a Trackimo but find it lacking in too many ways to trust it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31