Cheap GPS tracker : Anyone use this one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Global-Real-Time-GPS-Tracker-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracking-Tool-ForChildren-Pet-Car-/390677412403?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item5af6303a33
I thought that was one of the ones that relies on cell tower triangulation to get the location and is only accurate to a 1/2 mile or so. Most people use the tk102 type on here that I have seen.

CJ31 said:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Global-Real-Time-GPS-Tracker-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracking-Tool-ForChildren-Pet-Car-/390677412403?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item5af6303a33
I thought that was one of the ones that relies on cell tower triangulation to get the location and is only accurate to a 1/2 mile or so. Most people use the tk102 type on here that I have seen.

Question on those tk102 GSM/GPRS trackers... So you have to buy a SIM card to put in it. That means what? Buy a prepaid card? Will those work? Do those even allow SMS text messages? What carrier? I was thinking about getting one but they all seem to be from China and their Ebay listings are broken English so I'm not too hopeful getting replies to questions on Ebay. Figured I'd ask people who actually have done it. What do you actually have to do to get it hooked up and how do you operate it? Send it a text message and "ask" it where it is? I'd buy one but then I'd sit there scratching my head and without help, wouldn't know what kind of SIM card to get, etc.

Mike

I just ordered one for $30 from bang good because I was ordering other stuff from them. But Amazon has them as well.
http://www.banggood.com/?zf=458557

Not 100% sure but from my understanding you just need to get a pay as you go plan and SIM card. H2o wireless has a plan for $10/3 months. H2o SIM cards are free on Amazon. You need to activate the card in any cell phone after you sign up, and then put it in the tracker. When you call the number, it texts you coordinates that you can see on google maps. I will report how it works once I get mine in a couple if weeks. But others on here have said it works.

CJ31 said:
I just ordered one for $30 from bang good because I was ordering other stuff from them. But Amazon has them as well.
http://www.banggood.com/?zf=458557

Not 100% sure but from my understanding you just need to get a pay as you go plan and SIM card. H2o wireless has a plan for $10/3 months. H2o SIM cards are free on Amazon. You need to activate the card in any cell phone after you sign up, and then put it in the tracker. When you call the number, it texts you coordinates that you can see on google maps. I will report how it works once I get mine in a couple if weeks. But others on here have said it works.

So I see problem #1 for me. I don't have a GSM phone that I can use. Do you have to initialize it in a phone?

Mike

I take the SIM card out of one of my iPhones whenever I want to use my tk102 tracker. Works great, and I'm using a line I'm already paying for!

Mike:
Yes I think you have to activate it in a phone. There is no phone lying around you could use? I have too many :lol:

jthorstad said:
I take the SIM card out of one of my iPhones whenever I want to use my tk102 tracker. Works great, and I'm using a line I'm already paying for!
[/quote]
Does that cause any issues when people call you on that phone #? I know we're not flying for hours on end, so for the 20-40 mins of typical flying the chances may not be high that you will get a call. But what happens when you do? They just get a text of the location?

CJ31 said:
Does that cause any issues when people call you on that phone #? I know we're not flying for hours on end, so for the 20-40 mins of typical flying the chances may not be high that you will get a call. But what happens when you do? They just get a text of the location?

Only the authorized phone numbers get the text if the number is called.

It's not an issue for me, as this is a phone my kids share, and no one is really calling them.

I've only done one test flight with my tracker attached...and it was just a couple of minutes. Don't have a lot of flying experience with it, but it worked. I was able to call it, and got a text message back with a link to its location. It was within 10 feet, which is more than enough for me.

I've used it more just sitting on my dash on my truck, testing it out. It has worked well. The battery lasts many days...longer than I hope to ever need.

The ONLY issue I've had is that once it has lost sat lock (say, if it was deep in my pocket, in the car), it doesn't regain lock on its own unless I reset it.

When it's out in the clear, it does indeed seem to maintain lock well.

BTW, I chose to add industrial-strength velcro to the back of my GoPro waterproof door. I then attach the tracker to the GoPro. I didn't want to cover the Phantom's serial number sticker with velcro.

BTW, I chose to add industrial-strength velcro to the back of my GoPro waterproof door. I then attach the tracker to the GoPro.
So I assume you don't have it on a gimbal? If so, doesn't that screw up the balance?

I brought the tk102b with me on a (normal) trip last time and it lasted more than 4 days (mostly in idle mode), went on cars, buses, trains, hotels, convention halls etc, and mine didn't seem to have any problem regaining gps lock. I called it when it was in idle mode, it seemed to wake up, tried to establish gps lock.. and after 30 second or so without gps it would send a text with empty coordinate (was testing in hotel room); then I moved it near one of the windows, then it send me another text with the pinpoint coordinate. So I think that works out great for me, and a pretty smart way to keep in touch with you when you're trying to find the thing:

First text establishes that the unit is working, but you know it doesn't have gps signal. Second text was sent out as soon as it gets gps lock.

I have to say, though, that the TK102b is perfect for anyone who's already familiar with using unlocked phones with normal simcards, because it's just like a regular candy phone (Doesn't even need data plan if you don't plan on having it continuously stream the coordinates every few seconds\minutes). It's just like a cellphone; you plop the sim card in, make sure the sim is activated (can receive and send text) and you're in business.

I have bought 3 of these and have yet to get any of them to work. The ones on amazon are cheap imitation. Both of mine wouldn't turn off and you could barely see the light. The third one from Sears is much better quality but I can't get it to return the text. Anyone have any great ideas? At least at Amazon they are easy to return :D

I have a TK102B from Amazon and it works great other than the fact I can't turn it on and off from the switch on the side :? Was simple to setup and is simple to use. Not used it to track a Phantom as I don't have one yet :lol: But for £20 you can't go wrong.

It seems to be true of ALL of these that the power button does NOTHING. The way to turn it on or off is to put the battery in or out.

And yes...the light is hard to see, and doesn't tell you much. I can't decipher whether I have sat locks or not just by the light. basically, the flashing green light indicates the thing is on, that's all.

But yes, for the price, it's hard to beat!

I'm new to this whole Phantom hobby so take this suggestion/idea with a grain of salt.

Has anyone ever thought of using a GPS Pet Tracker to locate their lost Phantom? There is a company called Tagg that makes a small devive which attaches to your cat or dogs collar and it can be tracked from a PC or Andriod device. It's small, lightweight (1oz), and costs just $99 through Amazon. Wouldn't something like this be an easy solution to the issue?

http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps

U.M.

Reactions: Noble 1
I considered all the possible trackers out there, but wanted to avoid any additional monthly costs. For me, using a SIM card I'm already paying for makes sense.

This Tagg device has an $8/mo service price. That's not outrageous by any means, and would be nice peace of mind. I'd like it even more if I can cancel the subscription for months I wouldn't be using it. Perhaps you can, I didn't look closely.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj