Cheap Gimbal - Will it work on the Phantom 2?

Reaction score
I am very new to the quadcopter world, and I just bought a Phantom 2 last week. I am currently doing a research for gimbals, and I found a cheap one, which if compatible, would save me a lot of money.
Can anyone with more experience than me, please let me know if I can use this gimbal with my Phantom 2, and what else will I need besides whats included in this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251454521154?ss ... 1423.l2649

Or if you have any other suggestions for a cheap gimbal, it would be great.

Thank you

Hi. I have same question, but it seems to me that users of this forum for some strange reason ignoring questions about these cheap gimbals to be used for Phantom 2
Have you had any luck?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Mike.

These questions have been answered many times before. You can use any gimbal like that with a Phantom or Phantom 2.
Just be aware that you may have to spend time configuring and adjusting your gimbal for it to work well. Don't expect it to just work as is.
You will need to get a cable for power and a servo cable for pitch control. For power, you can solder wires on to an ESC connection,
or you can hook up to the Zenmuse port and get power from that.

Edit: You'll also need to get or make a bracket adapter, since the one that comes with it is for a Phantom 1. You might be able
to drill appropriate holes in it to make it work; I'm not sure. You'll also need some screws (m3x5 or up to m3x8).

CityZen, kind soul(I mean it) thank you for the reply!
I can not search this forum. When I enter: gimbal in search line, it gives me error. It needs more words...like gimbal alternative, or something. I am sure it was answered before, but I can not narrow down the search and manually searching, would take many, many hours.

I know that tilt wire goes to F2 port, I also know which pin of the cheap gimbal I got (goodluckbuy) goes there. For the main power to the gimble, please see attached. Do I use these cables? Red and brown (as somebody mentioned on this forum) If so, which brown cable do I use?

Please help.
Thank you!

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 788
The way to search this forum is to use Google and include site:phantompilots.com in your search.
The built-in search is terrible.

Attach it at first with a square piece of velcro (hook and loop) until your satisfied. Then you can drill holes or whatever. I just drilled corresponding holes in the mounting plate of the gimbal itself, but only after a good couple of flights with velcro.
Getting power is easy. The first thing you can do to check if it works alright is to power it with a small 2s lipo battery (if you have a couple lying around like I have). Some people keep it that way to preserve the main power for the Phantom itself. Doesn't add much weight and you can also power a FPV Tx with it.

If you use a standard 3 wire servo cable from the Gimbal to the F2 port it already gets all the power it needs. The F2 port is supplying 5 Volt. No need to get extra power feed if you do it like that.

MikeBer said:
CityZen, kind soul(I mean it) thank you for the reply!
Do I use these cables? Red and brown (as somebody mentioned on this forum) If so, which brown cable do I use?

Please help.
Thank you!

Easy to check with a multimeter to be sure.

Sure, you can use any gimbal you want, anywhere you want. You just have to tap the power somewhere, and if you want tilt control, you need to figure out how to connect it.

I'm using GLB 3 axis gimbal and it works excellent. You can't beat the $150 price tag. I actually have 2 of them. I got one as a backup but the first one has been working so well, never a problem. There is a little bit of calibration and adjusting, but it was very easy, at least in my case. I did not have to mess around in the software much at all. (and the things I changed were mostly my preferences.)

Personally, I wanted to stay away from H33D like the plague. It's too fragile and prone to cable failure/etc. I do not want to twiddle my thumbs for 3-4 months as DJI warranty center fixes it. I've already warrantied my battery with them and I hope I never have to rely on them again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic