Cheap DIY Case? Check your military surplus store

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there to check your local military surplus for a weatherproof hard case. So, finally got my P3P and lots of flight time in, then realized I badly needed something to keep it safe while transporting it from location to location. I needed something until I had the funds and more gear to justify a $200 USD case. So this is likely temporary, but turned out worked great.

Military surplus has many boxes and cases, and I ran across a night vision goggles case for $39.00 with enough foam in it for me to cobble together a solid solution. May look a little crude but I assure you its safe and secure.

Here is a little video I made showing what I did,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did not watch the video but the case looks cool.

Nice job.

I did not watch the video but the case looks cool.

Nice job.

Thanks, its a little crude looking with the sliced up foam but works well. Been able to transport it with confidence. Really like the smaller size and have gotten used to removed and installed the blades per flight...

Who cares about the insides???

As long as it works the outside makes up for it. Keep it closed.

Just a matter of taste as I prefer more utilitarian over appearance.

Reactions: Mike Dula
Who cares about the insides???

As long as it works the outside makes up for it. Keep it closed.

Just a matter of taste as I prefer more utilitarian over appearance.

Agreed. Inside might only matter if you we're a legally paid professional and trying to impress clients with. Since I am neither this works. I just may out grow it with more gear, that would be my factor into moving to something larger.

I bought this case for $60.00 and it's a great case

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436987596.147635.jpg

Looks pretty good, I really needed a rugged waterproof case. We plan on going camping with it and I like knowing a rouge rain storm will keep it dry.

Looks pretty good, I really needed a rugged waterproof case. We plan on going camping with it and I like knowing a rouge rain storm will keep it dry.

This case is awesome. I called a few local surplus stores near me but no one seems to have it. (Los Angeles Area)

Where did you get yours from?

Just thought I'd throw this out there to check your local military surplus for a weatherproof hard case. So, finally got my P3P and lots of flight time in, then realized I badly needed something to keep it safe while transporting it from location to location. I needed something until I had the funds and more gear to justify a $200 USD case. So this is likely temporary, but turned out worked great.

Military surplus has many boxes and cases, and I ran across a night vision goggles case for $39.00 with enough foam in it for me to cobble together a solid solution. May look a little crude but I assure you its safe and secure.

Good job I googled it but was unable to find it do you know if it goes by a different name?

Good job !
I did the same thing. Used the carboard "form" that the Phantom came in, and then just cut the case foam away to accommodate that.

I see some nice ones at sportsmansguide.com that would fit well and are cheap, but they weigh 20 pounds and more!

Oh no. No. No.No. I do not want extra attention. Can you imagine bringing a military case to a park. I am happy that I am not in States anymore, cops are crazy - they could easily shoot you, just looking at your case.

If you do not want to spend 250 on microraptor (I think it is the best value for money) get a plastic case and cut a foam, you may paint it black. Looks cool and do not attract attention. It cost me around 100 bucks.
rafff.jpg

Oh no. No. No.No. I do not want extra attention. Can you imagine bringing a military case to a park. I am happy that I am not in States anymore, cops are crazy - they could easily shoot you, just looking at your case.

If you do not want to spend 250 on microraptor (I think it is the best value for money) get a plastic case and cut a foam, you may paint it black. Looks cool and do not attract attention. It cost me around 100 bucks. View attachment 25042
Dude, you watch too much MSNBC

Reactions: MDR and tvckz
Ha ha, never been to Texas I guess? hunting, camo, military, guns, etc... is the norm around here. Not too worried about getting shot from a night vision case saying US Property on it. Would I walk into a federal building with it? No. But I welcome cops, and play by the rules, not too worried.

But. tvckz I do like your setup.

Dude, you watch too much MSNBC
All the cops, current and retired, just too great offense at that comment. Mine was a career of service for little money. And I am quite sane sir.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers