Cheap 4K

I think it's all case usage. I'm more than happy with the Standard's camera and images, but I'm no photographer. I love going long with it (just hit 2.25 miles yesterday) but don't really see the point of being able to go much longer than that due just to battery range.

@Tony Cowan Just so you know the P3S and P3P have nearly identical specs for still photos
DJI P3P has 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M
DJI P3S has 1/2.3” Effective pixels:12 M
So the Pro has .4 effective pixels more than the Standard (for still pictures) If you plan on taking stills from 4k video they are only 8mp photos.
If you plan on recording 4k video you don't need a supercomputer to edit them as some would have you believe. I have a AMD Phenom 2 CPU with 8GB of DDR2 ram and a GEforce GT 730 Video card and my computer handles playback and editing just fine. A lot of people like to record in 4k and then that gives them room to edit. Here is an illustration but keep in mind the P3P has 2 options for (4k) resolution. One is 3840x2160 which is shown and the other is 4096x2160 which is even wider.

Attachments

• Resolutions.png
    Resolutions.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 327
Thanks Sinisalo...I'm on the fence about getting an ADV (can get one for $719 right now), because I'm not sure I can justify it even at that price based on what my P3S w/Panel can do already after reading some posts in the ADV/PRO forums about range issues.

IF I were more interested in video quality, then the 4K might be a better choice. Just mod the RC (if you want) and you'd have like 95% of a PRO for $900 instead of $1200, but at this point the bonuses aren't worth it for what I use it for. The other main drawback to the 4K (other than no Lightbridge) is the 480P live feed-but I suspect that may later become adjustable...currently that allows the 4K even more range than the P3S out of the box.

Like I said, I might pull the trigger on the ADV mainly for the more solid range, but I'm not really reading that it's all that much better than what I have now which makes me leery because I'd almost have the same camera (but plus the VPS). I would most likely want to mod the RC for the ADV too but then we are back to battery issues for anything over 2.5 miles. :)

Here's one example of the range issues PRO some users are having, but it's a minority for sure. It's just that I know what I have now. Wish I could "test drive" a PRO for ADV in the areas I like to fly most for comparison.
Settings used to get max distance with stock P3P | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan