Chasing Planes and Cars (simensays Phantom landing gear)

Reaction score
Local "club" of rc minded folks in Bali, Indonesia at a cloudy sunday.

Yesterday I got my simensays landing gear and carbon rods, and I am afraid they are not suitable for me. While its light and strong, (yes, you can catch the Phantom in your hand on landing) it comes into the picture too much. When yaw is followed you can see the left front leg at faster yaws. Also tilted down it is visible. I could shorten it a bit, but my guess it will never really go away.

The CM3000 Gimbal behaved, kind of. Of course horizon drift, and sudden changes in attitude cause a wobble :(

Anyways, its about chasing planes and cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2xXYxFsQs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2xXYxFsQs[/youtube]

Which type of Simensays landing gear are you using? On the Shapeways website, there are V1, V2, V3, and Foldable T style. Is there weight savings compared to the original stock gear?

V3. It supposed to be lighter as the original. Have not got the numbers at hand.

Its a nice gear, if you can keep it out of sight. Stress on one leg however is on two screws only, while the original, actually 2 legs instead of 4, always distributes stress over 4 screws.

I always land in my hand, and the leg being only 6mm, does not give a good grip, I put my thumb over the fpv tx mount, and then it feels secure.

The problem with the simensays gear and my setup is that the CM3000 design sets the Gopro lens to the right (or left depends on your pov :) ) of the center of the Phantom. If the lens was in the center this gear would be good for me. Since the flight above I have shortened the legs so I have just 1 cm of clearance between the gimbal and the ground. The leg will still stay in view for sone parts of the flight, If you fly like I do.

The xaircraft stella is a much better designed gimbal, (wish they had a 3 axis version) , lens in the center of the aircraft, wires inside, light. This gimbal would have no trouble with the simensays gear.

http://www.xaircraft.com/camera-gimbal/

Ton4 said:

Good to see you around still :) Do I remember correctly you tried an H500 folding quad frame at some point? Any luck with that?

Phantom Flicks said:
Anybody else notice all the trash on the ground, all around those people? What's wrong with them?

Go just a bit south-er in FL and it won't seem so out of place :D

Well, I have a 680mm 4s now. With Phantom contoller in it. :)

14mins with 6000mah. Frame is pretty ok, now gimbal is kinda broken.

Thanks for sharing Ton4. Nice to see people on all places with different cultures doing the same.

Still works, kinda. Eaten too much dust I guess. And that crash maybe. Kinda twice. :)

This is left of my Phantom. Just the Controller actually.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411840712991.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411840712991.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 357
Ton4 said:
This is left of my Phantom. Just the Controller actually.

Ok yeah that's the one I was thinking about, I like your approach to the landing gear. Still happy with it? I know somebody who is considering that platform. I'm sure it has no problem lifting that camera and lens I see next to it...right? :cool:

Yeah your parts kinda seem to get a lot of dust in them kinda all the time lol.

Well, It's just a 2,5 kilo phantom. Wouldn't know how to get back :)
Well, havent tried to to to lift a 7D and 70 -200 2.8l, but its a bit too heavy I guess.... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic