Charts charts charts!

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I'm studying for part 107. Not really because I want to do commercial flying but I want the knowledge. Crazy right?

So...looking at charts in my test app on my phone sucks! Anyone know of the best place to get some and/or learn about them? Either paper or online that I can print out?

Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone

Perfect! Thought they may/should have something. Just didn't get to look yet.
Thanks. 73...
Go to this site AirNav: Airport Information and you can type in the name of a local airport (or the city) and bring up the directory for that airport. One of the panels is also the sectional segment covering that airport. Not only good material to practice you newly obtained knowledge, but it will give you a good idea of what the airspace around you looks like.

Reactions: LoneDrone
If you want real paper maps go to your airport. No, not the usual place, just look in you phone book for places to learn to fly. They will have the paper ones. Or order on-line from Sporty's. Less than $10 the last time I bought one.

Last edited:
Go to this site AirNav: Airport Information and you can type in the name of a local airport (or the city) and bring up the directory for that airport. One of the panels is also the sectional segment covering that airport. Not only good material to practice you newly obtained knowledge, but it will give you a good idea of what the airspace around you looks like.
Works for me thanks. I notice CW used in their listings for ID, also on some maps. Interesting.

If you want real paper maps go to your airport. No, not the usual place, just look in you phone book for places to learn to fly. They will have the paper ones. Or order on-line from Sporty's. Less than $10 the last time I bought one.
Thanks for that. I saw some online for about $7 or $8 bucks. Probably get the local ones around me.

I went to my local FBO and they gave me outdated sectionals for free. It also gave me a chance to talk with the airport manager and talk to him about UAV's. hopefully I gave him the impression that we as remote pilots take things seriously and we're not all reckless idiots that are a danger to flight operations.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I went to my local FBO and they gave me outdated sectionals for free. It also gave me a chance to talk with the airport manager and talk to him about UAV's. hopefully I gave him the impression that we as remote pilots take things seriously and we're not all reckless idiots that are a danger to flight operations.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sounds like the trip was well worthwhile. I yet to locate and talk to the airports here. Being new I wanted to get my ducks in order first.
Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone

When it comes to sectional charts, you need to know more than just the symbology. You must be able to determine 3D airspaces on the 2D chart. It's pretty easy once you have it figured out.

When it comes to sectional charts, you need to know more than just the symbology. You must be able to determine 3D airspaces on the 2D chart. It's pretty easy once you have it figured out.

Thanks! I knew there was a lot to it and I'm just at the beginning. Used topo's for decades in hiking and mountaineering so they aren't totally foreign in a few respects.
Guess I could take an online course too, know of a good one? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! I knew there was a lot to it and I'm just at the beginning. Used topo's for decades in hiking and mountaineering so they aren't totally foreign in a few respects.
Guess I could take an online course too, know of a good one? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone
Of course I'm biased, but give Gold Seal a look. It lets you take the first three lessons for free so that you can see how you like it. Plus, it is the only online program that archives all your quizzes for review. You can even print out PDFs showing just the questions you missed. It automatically tracks all your progress and comes with our "You Pass or We Pay" guarantee. Use the promo code below and get it for $149 with a four-year full access.

Gold Seal is the selected training program for FOX news, nationwide.

Been to your site and liked what I saw. High praise comes from people on here and out on the web.
Just might take you up on that. A little hard to teach yourself what you don't know [emoji4]

Promo code? Don't see it.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Been to your site and liked what I saw. High praise comes from people on here and out on the web.
Just might take you up on that. A little hard to teach yourself what you don't know [emoji4]

Promo code? Don't see it.
Thanks.

"PhantomPilots50" (in the signature line below the post)

Oh thanks. Phantom app for iOS doesn't show sig lines. Or I have it filtered or something.
Thanks again.

Roger that. If you need the URL, here it is: www.UAVGroundSchool.com

Note: Don't visit on your phone. The site is way too robust for the small screen. Tablet or larger screen required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic