Charging

Reaction score
So is it ok or not to charge RC and a battery at the same time on a Phantom 3 pro?

The DJI manual says not to, but many have done it without any trouble. I usually charge everything the day before I fly, so I'm never in a situation where I must charge both at the same time due to a time crunch.

Page 20 of the P3P manual has the blurb about not charging the battery and remote at the same time on the standard charger.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449589875.831294.jpg

For me, I just charge each one separately but it becomes a pain if you have multiple batteries and like to fly each day since you have to charge them separately unless you have one of the third party chargers that is capable of charging multiple batteries and RC at the same time. But is it really at the same time or just the ability to connect multiple items to charge them one after the other without have to disconnect/ reconnect them.

Note how do you charge almost fully charged batteries and how do you connect and disconnect them.

I drain mine down to 90% using the flight SIM, then charge back to 100%, full capacity.

RedHotPoker

I've charged both simultaneously without issue. That was before I read their recommendations against it. I think if it was a major issue they should simply provide one connector on the charger compatible with both the battery and RC, that way it would only be physically possible to plug in one at a time.

Reactions: Curasail
I solved that wee dilemma, and bought a second @dji 100w charger.
It works out great, with my present four intelligent flight batteries. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinch
I've charged both simultaneously without issue. That was before I read their recommendations against it. I think if it was a major issue they should simply provide one connector on the charger compatible with both the battery and RC, that way it would only be physically possible to plug in one at a time.
I charged mine at the same time as well before I noticed that in the manual. The charger didn't get noticeably hot but the RC did take 3.5 hours to charge. Is that normal? (The main battery charged in about 1-1.5 hours.)

I charged mine at the same time as well before I noticed that in the manual. The charger didn't get noticeably hot but the RC did take 3.5 hours to charge. Is that normal? (The main battery charged in about 1-1.5 hours.)
As I remember, it never took 3.5 hrs to charge for me.

The first time I charged by RC it did take about 3 hours-- it is going to depend on the state of the battery-- if it is down to 25% or less it will take longer.

I solved that wee dilemma, and bought a second @DJI100w charger.
It works out great, with my present four intelligent flight batteries. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Show off haha [emoji6] l had to buy a second P3p to obtain a second charger - only joking [emoji6][emoji106]

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Show off haha [emoji6] l had to buy a second P3p to obtain a second charger - only joking [emoji6][emoji106]
The 100w charger was only like $80.00 at Staples. :)
So much easier to deal with during my charging times.
Every intelligent flight battery should be equipped with its own charging station.

RedHotPoker

If you buy the DJI multi-charger ($90 US on ebay, $99 in stores), it controls the charging and charges up to 4 batteries, one at a time, in order from highest charged (shortest calculated recharge time) to lowest charge. Not necessarily faster, but kind of a "set it and forget it" to get 4 batteries ready for next days flights (and the controller if you have the 100 watt Pro charger). I also bought one of those cheap gang chargers ($10 on ebay) - it seems to split the charge and do 3 batteries at the same time, but I believe a lot lower amperage per battery, so slower charging. It was kind of cheap made and came with no instructions or specs, so now it sits on a shelf and bought the (more expensive) official DJI multi-charger - I wasn't willing to risk loosing or ruining $450 worth of batteries on a no documentation component.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1