charging smart batteries on the go, away from electricity

Reaction score
thanks for anyone sharing resources on how they charge their p2v 5200mah batteries when outside and away from electrical power outlets..

are you using solar power sources, car batteries or anything else and how are you connecting the stock p2v battery charger/cable unit to such portable power sources..?

Thanks for anyone's input in advance!

Re: charging smart batteries on the go, away from electricit

I'm simply using a small 12v power inverter in my car - works great!

I haven't thought too much about a charging option for more remote sites...such as solar, etc. I currently have 2 batteries and they have provided me with all the flight time I have needed (so far). Guess if I were going on a weekend hike I may look into a solar option - I know there are some good ones out there, just haven't researched any in detail.
I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.

For now I'm using a small 400 watt 12 VDC - 110 AC inverter to power the factory charger. When I get back to my shop I'll do a test to see just what the factory charger is doing to see if it is simply a 12 VDC 4A power supply or if it actually regulates the charging process.

thanks guys for your contribution- anyone else using other portable power sources want to chime in?

theSelf said:
thanks guys for your contribution- anyone else using other portable power sources want to chime in?

Also try using a 200w DC to AC inverter, plugs straight into your car lighter socket about $30 dollars from ebay

jdmutton said:
theSelf said:

Also try using a 200w DC to AC inverter, plugs straight into your car lighter socket about $30 dollars from ebay
Does it matter that the voltage produced from these cheap inverters is very dirty or does the supplied charger smooth it out ?

Is anyone worried about using a modified sine wave inverter?
All cheap inverters use a modified sine wave.
Good ones cost more but use a pure sine wave.
For studio photography strobes a modified sine wave will do harm to the electoral components.
I don't know if this will harm the charger or battery. Any electrical engineers want to weigh in?

Here is a photo of the difference.
SunforcePureSineWave._V162789277_.jpg

check out this guy's video who has set up a system for charging all his rc gear by solar power- I saw this a year ago and purchased the sane gear (link in video description) but haven't got round to setting it up yet- obviously a sunny climate is required..lucky for me I'm in southern California!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_SFHsTQMw[/youtube]

I am soon to do some remote shooting at Texas A&M Fire School. They have power at the classrooms, but not in the fire zones. I am bringing an UPS backup system for all charging. Tried it and works great. A little heavy, but not too bad and runs a long time between charging. Will charge it daily while back in hotel.good 110 voltage available as need it. I also have a portable battery charger and one of the larger versions and helps with normal DC voltage stuff for usb plugs.

To be independent of the car battery (ie. not having to be near the car itself for charging, I also have the following set up for truly in the field charging-

a lead acid sealed 18Ah lead acid battery-
31FCpEcszCL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/18Ah-Sealed-Lead- ... B001C20T9C

combined with something like this Car Auto Battery Terminal Clip-on Cigarette Lighter Power Socket Adaptor 12V

1_zps42420f69.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-Batter ... 0462042297

and this Hobbico Voltwatch Battery Monitor for 12V Field Power to keep an eye on the battery's charge-

31I5z881zWL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014T ... 00_s00_i00

a Portable Battery Chargerr 1.5 Amp 12v Trickle Charge similar to this for charging the lead acid battery at home (I'm sure with research it can be found cheaper elsewhere)-

$(KGrHqR,!q!FI0GccWFSBSQWz5Ihq!~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProMariner-Port ... ab&vxp=mtr

Optionally- putting it all together with other cables for other needs, cutting out some plywood and adding a wooden dowel and painting- you have a nice portable charging station (with an inverter into the cigarette socket you can plug the stock p2v charger and battery into)-

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 811

Here's what I use — my home on wheels with 420W of solar panels powering a 1000W pure-sine mains inverter.

Will post some video soon. Very impressed with this flying beast.

cheers from Down Under.

Attachments

• madam-plush.jpg
    madam-plush.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 549

be careful when connecting the P2V lipo directly to a 12V battery

I have done some tests (and posted the result here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6989)
and found that the p2v battery don't have a current limiter or anyway is limited way too high
because the charger circuit inside the lipo start sucking more than 15A when the source is able to give that current

being the lipo 5200mAh, 15A of charge is around 3C that usually is too high for charging a lipo
only some high end and very expensive lipos are able to keep-on to 3-5C charge

urgno said:
be careful when connecting the P2V lipo directly to a 12V battery

I have done some tests (and posted the result here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6989)
and found that the p2v battery don't have a current limiter or anyway is limited way too high
because the charger circuit inside the lipo start sucking more than 15A when the source is able to give that current

being the lipo 5200mAh, 15A of charge is around 3C that usually is too high for charging a lipo
only some high end and very expensive lipos are able to keep-on to 3-5C charge
do you mean be careful when charging the p2v batteries by a balance charger other than the stock one the p2v comes with because if so on this thread we are really talking about using the stock charger plugged into a portable power source like those suggested in this thread or are you saying charging the batteries with the stock charger plugged into these portable power sources could be problematic also regarding no limit on the charge rate?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4