Charging P3 Batteries in the middle of nowhere

Reaction score
I'm planning a backpacking and camping trip in a remote valley on the Big Island of Hawaii. The views are going to be so epic, but I'm looking for ways to charge my P3 batteries after flying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

After doing some research, it seems like solar panels are an option, as well as hydrogen cells (can I bring this on a plane?). The key is weight and time to charge the batteries.

Thank you!

Any portable solar panels that you could hike in with are going to take millennia to charge Phantom batteries to capacity. Deep cycle marine battery mounted to a dolly / cart with an inverter might be an option, but not terrain friendly by any means. Then use portable solar panels to keep the deep cycle battery topped up.

Looks like these hydrogen cells are approved for airline flight as well. Upp - Live life unplugged

Although purchasing them may be tough as the page to purchase shows an error when clicked. Strange! Maybe not ready for primetime?

Let us know what you find out and ultimately go with as I know others will be looking for this type of solution as well.

Last edited:
If you're not going to be near a vehicle for a few days then I would just buy extra batteries because the weight and space needed for charging anything else is impractical. I would plan your flights ahead of time because of the amount of tree's and so on. If you figure that you will need 8 batteries for the back pack trip, then just take them charged and ready. You're already going to have a full pack with food, Drone, and the essentials. There are lots of ways to charge a phone and if the rc is charged then it will last for 8 batteries or more probably. I have 7 batteries and just charge the rc when they are done.

I was on the Big Island for a couple weeks two summers ago. It's a great time. What remote valley? Must be between the two big mountains. Only thing I can think is to carry a lot of batteries with you. :grinning:

Enjoy!

Your best bet is to buy more Phantom batteries.

As a bluewater boat owner, power systems are one of those things I agonize over and spent a lot of time researching. You need a storage bank for solar, wind and tow generators. That means large heavy batteries.

A portable generator could do it if you don't mind lugging 50 pounds around. The Yamaha 2000 would more than do the trick and with some extra fuel.

Figure a used Yamaha is about $450 US. That's three Phantom batteries. Bet you could find a deal and buy 4 for around $500 and a few pounds to carry. If you are buying new then thats at least 6 batteries and still a lot less weight.

I also thinking if you are going to be backpacking for more then a day you probably won't want to lug around a Phantom and all the hardware in addition to everything else you'd need.

I suspect you will be only backpacking for a day. In that case, yes... just buy an extra battery or two.

Thanks everyone! Some great answers - I think for a hike this short, I will likely pickup an extra battery.

I did find this new video that was super helpful - and pointed me towards a good solar charging option (GOALZERO). However for this purpose (charging Phantom 3 batteries), I think the Sherpa 100 would be needed, which doesn't quite fit the economics of my trip.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie