Charging Hub Hack....?

Reaction score
Just got my whole P4P kit and I have a total of 6 batteries, so I opted to get a couple of the charging hubs. With stuff like this, I prefer to heed the manufacturers advice about sticking with their own products so as to not void any warranties. I knew going into it that the DJI charging hub doesn't charge all 3 batteries at the same time, rather it charges one at a time based on their levels, and then moves on to the next battery.

However, I think I may have discovered a small hack. If you find yourself with 3 batteries that you've run flat, instead of putting the charger in "Charging" mode and putting all 3 batteries in to charge one at a time, put the hub in "Storage" mode first. This will simultaneously charge all three batteries until they're all at 50%. Then you can switch over to "Charging" mode to finish them off one by one.

I'm actually currently testing this out, and it seems to be working. Definitely saves several minutes, which when your anxious to fly, every minute counts!

Anyone else try something like this?

Just got my whole P4P kit and I have a total of 6 batteries, so I opted to get a couple of the charging hubs. With stuff like this, I prefer to heed the manufacturers advice about sticking with their own products so as to not void any warranties. I knew going into it that the DJI charging hub doesn't charge all 3 batteries at the same time, rather it charges one at a time based on their levels, and then moves on to the next battery.

However, I think I may have discovered a small hack. If you find yourself with 3 batteries that you've run flat, instead of putting the charger in "Charging" mode and putting all 3 batteries in to charge one at a time, put the hub in "Storage" mode first. This will simultaneously charge all three batteries until they're all at 50%. Then you can switch over to "Charging" mode to finish them off one by one.

I'm actually currently testing this out, and it seems to be working. Definitely saves several minutes, which when your anxious to fly, every minute counts!

Anyone else try something like this?

That would load the power converter pretty high. Does it get hot?

That would load the power converter pretty high. Does it get hot?
It doesn't seem to be any hotter than normal. If it would be too much of a pull on the power-supply, then I would think it would be DJI's fault for allowing that feature to exist in Storage mode. Even if I wasn't planning on switching over to Charging mode after they get to 50% - if all i wanted to do was put all my batteries into storage, it's still the normal function of the hub to bring all of them to 50% at the same time.

It doesn't seem to be any hotter than normal. If it would be too much of a pull on the power-supply, then I would think it would be DJI's fault for allowing that feature to exist in Storage mode. Even if I wasn't planning on switching over to Charging mode after they get to 50% - if all i wanted to do was put all my batteries into storage, it's still the normal function of the hub to bring all of them to 50% at the same time.

You can lawyer it or engineer it. If you believe the power supply to be cool enough then that's your call for your kit.

It may also be in this mode that it charges them all but more slowly so you're not really gaining anything.
(Edit: added comment)

It may also be in this mode that it charges them all but more slowly so you're not really gaining anything.
(Edit: added comment)
That's a really good point! However I put 3 flat batteries on and 2 of them were at 50% within 30-45min. Seems like a good rate to me.

Hi ethanunzicker

What happens if say you start off with all batteries at 20%, then charge all batts to 100% sequentialy and record the total time required, versus charging all batts from 20%
up to 50% simultaneously as you suggested and then allowing the sequential charge upto 100% and measure that time.... ?

Waylander

Hi ethanunzicker

What happens if say you start off with all batteries at 20%, then charge all batts to 100% sequentialy and record the total time required, versus charging all batts from 20%
up to 50% simultaneously as you suggested and then allowing the sequential charge upto 100% and measure that time.... ?

Waylander
Interesting! I'll give it a go. We've got poor weather for the foreseeable future so it may be a while before I'm able to run this effectively. I'll keep you posted.

Hey guys. I have two stock DJI chargers because I got an extra one with my 100 rebate they did last year on the P4's after they dropped the price on them after all of us bought them. LOL. So I can charge two at one time. I don't store my batteries for more than 10 days hardly ever. Not sure of any advantages with this hub for me since I have two stock chargers. You guys have any thoughts since owning it for a while now?

Hey guys. I have two stock DJI chargers because I got an extra one with my 100 rebate they did last year on the P4's after they dropped the price on them after all of us bought them. LOL. So I can charge two at one time. I don't store my batteries for more than 10 days hardly ever. Not sure of any advantages with this hub for me since I have two stock chargers. You guys have any thoughts since owning it for a while now?

I think these hub's are really only worth it if you have lots of batteries to manage. It's really nice to be able to charge the whole lot and then whatever batteries you didn't use, you can easier pop on the dock and have them drain down to 50%. If you have 2 batteries and two standard chargers than I wouldn't bother with the dock. It's just as easier to drain the battery down to a storage level manually if you only have a couple to worry about.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hi Guys
You can charge a phantom 4 pro from any supply of the correct voltage, the balancing and intelligence is in the battery
Waylander

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31