Charging from a generator

I took a quick look... I've never seen A generator without a normal plug. I'm getting this has one as well. It would change 3 batteries just fine. I suspect the true wattage is around 700 watts which is plenty. It's going to be A little loud as it's a 2 stroke engine. I bought an Earthquake brand generator which is 4 stroke and it's great. Runs about 7 hours on one gallon gas.

Thanks, I see it says: "Sockets: 1x230V, 1x12V" in the description which indicates both normal and cigarette lighter sockets?

As this generator has inverter to convert DC into AC, I would test its output waveform first before using it for battery charging. Most of such inverters use PWM modulated output to generate AC with good regulation and such outputs could be risky for chargers as they would generate high peaks and pulses.

I would suggest to keep away from such inverters unless you ensure it has a smooth output waveform.

Reactions: aka1ceman
I actually got past this issue by using a 500 w converter that I had. It had battery terminal clips or lighter plug. 1 plug popped fuses. So that instead of pulling off of 1 lighter, I wired duel lighter plugs that plug into my 2 dashboard lighter sockets. Key here is both are factory wired on 2 separate 20 amp circuits.

I actually got past this issue by using a 500 w converter that I had. It had battery terminal clips or lighter plug. 1 plug popped fuses. So that instead of pulling off of 1 lighter, I wired duel lighter plugs that plug into my 2 dashboard lighter sockets. Key here is both are factory wired on 2 separate 20 amp circuits.
Nice, but I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve a car...

As this generator has inverter to convert DC into AC, I would test its output waveform first before using it for battery charging. Most of such inverters use PWM modulated output to generate AC with good regulation and such outputs could be risky for chargers as they would generate high peaks and pulses.

I would suggest to keep away from such inverters unless you ensure it has a smooth output waveform.
Thanks for the advice. What is the risk of such high peaks and pulses? Would the charger not be able to cope or would it effect the drone battery itself?

As he said above. This is very important on sensitive electronics. I would recommend paying a little more and make sure it doesn't damage your investment.

As he said above. This is very important on sensitive electronics. I would recommend paying a little more and make sure it doesn't damage your investment.
Ok, I will have a look. Do you know of any decent generators that are not outrageously expensive and bulky? Form factor is very important for us.

However, this would be true of cigarette plug inverters as well. Lots of people use those with no issues. I'd say something like a TV or laptop would have more of an issue with bad sine waves. But the caution is valid.

Harbor Freight had a generator on sale recently for $88.00. I know nothing about it but the price is right.

Problem is with inverter generators, better waveform equals more money. Honda makes a nice reliable one lasting Years. i1000.... problem is they are expensive.
I've used the Ryobi 1000 watt inverter and it's been ok. I'm not happy with the amount of plastic but it's around $500.

Nice, but I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve a car...
I use both a generator and the car. I use the car to carry the generator also. My car has a built in 110vac inverter that I charge from also with the motor turned off and this is my #1 way to charge when on the road. I'm confused as to why you don't want a car involved? I prefer my car inverter because it runs straight off of the battery even with the car not running, so it doesn't cost anything and their is no noise. The Honda generator I use to charge the battery in our trailer along with the ipad and everything else at one time if there's no sun for the solar. But usually I just use solar to charge the trailer when it's sunny and it takes a couple hours a day and the rest of the time it runs the chargers for the P3 batteries, phone, ipad, etc. If you don't have to carry it anywhere, a simple 12vdc marine battery coupled with either a small Coleman solar charger or the larger Solar Suitcase that I bought this year will charge your batteries and the sun does the rest.

Problem is with inverter generators, better waveform equals more money. Honda makes a nice reliable one lasting Years. i1000.... problem is they are expensive.
I've used the Ryobi 1000 watt inverter and it's been ok. I'm not happy with the amount of plastic but it's around $500.
Indeed. Use Honda's EU1000i, beautiful quiet and reliable little generator for this application. I have used this model, their 2000w model, and their 3000w model for years and love them. No problems with sensitive electronics with these.

It does say this is a pure sine wave output!
This generator without the invertor is typically less than $100 so at that price it should be fine.

It does say this is a pure sine wave output!
This generator without the invertor is typically less than $100 so at that price it should be fine.
I'm saying better check the output waveform. If it has output filters it may generate pure sine wave.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik