Charging battery and remote

Reaction score
TOTAL NOOB HERE!!
Hello to all. Just received my Advanced today. I have a question that I can't find the answer to. Is it ok to charge both, a battery and the controller at the same time? Seems like it's taking a long time for them to completely charge. The remote came in completely dead and the battery in the drone was 1/2 charged. I also got s spare battery with my purchased.
Also, when the 4th light on the battery is blinking while charging, does that mean it's done or will it shut off automatically. Same goes for the controller. Thanks in advance for the help in advance.
Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have done it with no problems, but the Phantom manual says this should not be done.

I have been charging both together, and when the either battery is fully charged the lights go off on the battery that is charged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The manual states that it should not be done. I'd also recommend that everyone read... and than re-read the manual before their 1st flight. You can find the full manual online at DJI's website.

Don't charge both at the same time. It will overheat the charger.

Both the battery and controller will turn off the LED's when they are done charging. The controller takes a couple hours to charge.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Mike. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Like others here have said, it is not recommended to charge them simultaneously.

Informational link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

It will overheat the charger.
Do you know this from experience? If so, can you go into some more detail about what kind of problems this has caused for you and/or what kind of damage it could do? I'm just curious. People sometimes say they do this, but I haven't ever seen anyone say it caused an issue.

Do you know this from experience? If so, can you go into some more detail about what kind of problems this has caused for you and/or what kind of damage it could do? I'm just curious. People sometimes say they do this, but I haven't ever seen anyone say it caused an issue.

Only happened once when I was at the lake. Charger just stopped charging until it cooled off.

I bought two chargers. Easier to charge multiple batteries and the remote control by itself. Good investment. Problem solved.

I guess i have been doing it wrong, will order an extra charger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know DJI says not to charge both at once, but I'm betting it's just to cover their butt in the rare case that it could overheat. They easily could have designed the charger in a way that doesn't allow charging both at once, but they chose not to.

Has anyone tested the draw when both are plugged in to see if it really exceeds the rating of the charger?

I have not seen any report of charger getting burned due to overheating.

I usually charge both together and never noticed over heating.

My guess is it will have limitations when ambient temperature is 40 deg C, battery and RC are drained off to low values, line voltage is at -10% or +10% of rated value. We don't see such conditions normally so it may be ok for us to charge both simultaneously. But if you have time and patience, do it one by one or buy other charger and multiple charging system.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic