Charger noise and no auto shut off

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a very loud (brand new) charger. It's quiet for about 30 mins then this happens:

https://youtu.be/WE8jPSulYOw

It is actually quite loud and can be heard across the room. Is this normal? If i unplug the both my brand new batteries and check the charge they both show as full. Another thing to notice is that the light on the charger is still red and it's quite hot to touch. I have another Phantom at work and it doesn't do this. Any thoughts?

By the way, these batteries are brand new straight out of the box and never been discharged.

Just tried them in the assistant software and they say 100% so I'm wondering why the green light didn't come on and the charger shut off.

The batteries work fine in the Phantom as I just did a quick first flight.

Cheers

How long are you leaving it on the charger ? it might show 100% on the battery lights or on the app but it may not have finished doing the final balance ? leave it on the charger until the battery lights stop flashing and turn off charger should show green light when properly finished.

The charger is silent. No way you should hear anything from it. I wouldn't use it. Return and replace!

Should also not be very hot to the touch. Don't use it!

That noise is normal for a switching power supply. Mine does the same thing when my batteries get close to a full charge. This is coil noise, generated by inductors (coils) within the unit.. You connect your battery to the charger when it is discharged, and the power supply is under heavy load. Typically, when under load, the sound is in the 30-50kHZ range, above the range of human hearing. As the battery charges, the load on the supply becomes less, and the frequency goes lower. It eventually comes within audible frequencies, and will be at it's most noticeable just before the battery reaches full charge and the supply shuts off. There are ways of damping the noise, such as coating the inductors with an rtv silicone, etc. Dji obviously didn't care enough about the noise to address the issue.

Well I've run the batteries down a couple of times and recharged. The noise seems to be getting quieter and the auto shutoff seems to be working now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31