Changing the 'Go-home' altitude

Reaction score
Another newbie question, is it possible to change the default 20 meters the aircraft will climb/descend to in Fail-safe mode when automatically going to it's home location?

The way I understood the manual the minimum value is 20 meters but the value should be adjustable but I can't find this setting anywhere in the PC software nor in the app settings.

Not adjustable. Keep in mind it will rise to 20 meters. But if it's higher than 20 it will return at that altitude.

So if you are flying at 60 meters it will return home at that height.

I wish they would add the feature to adjust that as well as many other people. But not yet.

OK, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Strange though why the manual describes this value/setting as 'Adjustable' when it's not.

i recall reading here somewhere that flipping S2 5-7 times rapidly will reset the RTH height at whatever height you do it at. i havent tested it myself yet. i also dont know if this is stock with phantom mode, or if its only present in NAZA mode. i have NAZA

WebMaximus said:
Strange though why the manual describes this value/setting as 'Adjustable' when it's not.

Are you looking at an old manual? I am new but none of the firmware I have used (3 different updates) have had the ability to set RTH height.

Just checked both the printed manual that came with the product as well as the latest version found online and can't find this information anymore so guess I must have dreamt about it which wouldn't be that unlikely considering how much I've been thinking about the Phantom 2 Vision Plus the last couple of days since I got it ;)

It would be a good feature and everyone wants it. In my case if it returns to home at my house at 20 meters its going to be flying THROUGH trees. I would love the option of going to 100'.

Reseting it does work! Just fly straight up, higher than obstacles likely to be your RTH flight path. Reset it and it will fly back 20m higher than that. I have tested it in the past.

IrishSights said:
Reseting it does work! Just fly straight up, higher than obstacles likely to be your RTH flight path. Reset it and it will fly back 20m higher than that. I have tested it in the past.

Good to know but that won't work if the RTH is unplanned and you're lower than any obstacles between the aircraft and the home point at the time the RTH is initiated.

WebMaximus said:
Good to know but that won't work if the RTH is unplanned and you're lower than any obstacles between the aircraft and the home point at the time the RTH is initiated.

It's not hard to plan for.
You are going to fly in an area with obstacles - launch, go straight up to a safe height above local obstacles, reset home point up there, now go flying with the knowledge that your bird will RTH up at that level.

Reactions: jrich124
Meta4 said:
WebMaximus said:

You are going to fly in an area with obstacles - launch, go straight up to a safe height above local obstacles, reset home point up there, now go flying with the knowledge that your bird will RTH up at that level.

True dat bro... your RTH may be unplanned but their is no substitute for some decent flight planning on take off to avoid any and all potentially fatal obstacles... it's a no brainer and should be part of your preflight survey of the area you fly in.

Meta4 said:
WebMaximus said:

Wow, that's cool!

Didn't know you can reset the home location up in the air. And I'll do that by toggling S1 5 times or more?

But won't that make the aircraft think it's already on the ground when it's in fact still airborne?

WebMaximus said:
Meta4 said:
WebMaximus said:

Wow, that's cool!

Didn't know you can reset the home location up in the air. And I'll do that by toggling S1 5 times or more?

But won't that make the aircraft think it's already on the ground when it's in fact still airborne?

Nope.
Bird will descend at a safe rate until the barometric/altitude reading is constant for more than 5-10 seconds. If there is no change, motors will shut off.

DBS said:
Meta4 said:
WebMaximus said:

True dat bro... your RTH may be unplanned but their is no substitute for some decent flight planning on take off to avoid any and all potentially fatal obstacles... it's a no brainer and should be part of your preflight survey of the area you fly in.

Of course I'm planning my flights, it's just when you're a newbie you're still a bit scared running into a bad situation and then it's nice to get any help you can such as trying to make sure the RTH feature will always work.

Mako79 said:
Nope.
Bird will descend at a safe rate until the barometric/altitude reading is constant for more than 5-10 seconds. If there is no change, motors will shut off.

Ok, that's great to know - thanks!

Well I have a question then.

When mine is in RTH mode it is dropping elevation vertically at about 4.5 mph. What happens with the speed when you have a fake home set?

WebMaximus said:
Meta4 said:
WebMaximus said:

Wow, that's cool!

If im not mistaken its the S2 switch you flip 5 times in phantom mode but in naza mode you check ioc box and then flip S2 switch between middle and bottom position 3 times or more. I tried today with no success though, I assume I didn't set up the ioc correctly because even though the box is checked my CL and HL didn't work???

rrmccabe said:
Well I have a question then.

When mine is in RTH mode it is dropping elevation vertically at about 4.5 mph. What happens with the speed when you have a fake home set?

If you mean that you've reset the home position while the bird is airborne, it will proceed to a point 20m above the new home point, pause and then start to descend. It will continue to descend until it feels the ground under its feet (however far down that is) at whatever descent speed your firmware allows (slow).

Yes, of course you're right. It's the S2 switch and I was thinking about the switch on the left hand side, not sure why I keep thinking that is S1 and S2 the right hand side switch...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20