Changing Shell Question

Reaction score
I am changing my P3As shell very soon, I have seen people reinforce them with epoxy and what not. Any recommendations on the best, readily available stuff to do this with to avoid stress cracks around the screws or will any old epoxy work? Thanks!

I recommend these reinforcement attachments. I cannot remember where I bought them, but I will look and see if I can find them on the Internet again.
d65496580573f19a800442b4c28c6929.jpg

Reactions: dpsakon
@Procharged97 hey pro - whats the marine epoxy you recommended for fixing stress cracks?

pro sent me a tube of it, and it worked amazing! I cant find the darn tube, otherwise I'd post a pic. I'm hopeful he see's this and responds, its really good stuff.

i remember seeing pics like this, where guys basically just fillup the cavity around the motor mounts with as much as they can. I'd do this for all 4 arms, no sense in waiting for it to happen.

20160808_232327_zpsejguu35h.jpg

Check out a product called plast-aid. Recommended by many on the forum. It's designed to fix cracks in hot tubs and pools. Literally welds to the plastic of the shell and is very tough. Look for it on eBay or Amazon.

I recommend the plastic fill over the reinforcement arms. Though the plates have some effect on force distribution, they still rely on screw-in-plastic pressure. Cracks can still happen and could be masked by the plates.

I recommend the plastic fill over the reinforcement arms. Though the plates have some effect on force distribution, they still rely on screw-in-plastic pressure. Cracks can still happen and could be masked by the plates.

I still would not mess with glue or plastic coatings unless I actually saw cracks. I have been flying both PS3 and PA3 for 100+ hours with reinforcement arms and have never seen cracks. If I am wrong and others have had problems, please reply.

After many many hours of flying my P4 finally developed some cracks in the vent openings on the bottoms of the arms. I used superglue and fine fiberglass mesh over the cracks work fine haven't had any more problems

I've owned many P3's including a release or original v1 Advanced (has 215+ flights now). None have ever developed cracks. I'm not saying it won't happen or that there's not a known defect in some shells but I think many people have issues because they manhandle the craft when tightening down or removing their props.

@Procharged97 hey pro - whats the marine epoxy you recommended for fixing stress cracks?

pro sent me a tube of it, and it worked amazing! I cant find the darn tube, otherwise I'd post a pic. I'm hopeful he see's this and responds, its really good stuff.

i remember seeing pics like this, where guys basically just fillup the cavity around the motor mounts with as much as they can. I'd do this for all 4 arms, no sense in waiting for it to happen.

20160808_232327_zpsejguu35h.jpg
I don't see how putting that much epoxy/plast-aid worked. The motors mount at an angle so the bottom of the motor could be obstructed at the outer circumference. You may also be blocking motor ventilation. Also the top shell has a curtain around the motor that goes rather deep.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic