Changing my remote control

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if its possible to use a different remote controller for the phantom 2 vision, my friend has a different remote for his quad (not a phantom) and it has better features that the phantom one.

Problem is that your transmitter works on 5.8ghz and you can be guaranteed your friends transmitter works on 2.4ghz, so no I'm afraid not. I havent heard of a single person using a different transmitter

What are you talking about Mal_PV2_Ireland?

of course you can change it! just desolder in phantom 1 case it or unplug it and plug in the new rx/tx system
easy!

Thesmokeshow said:

of course you can change it! just desolder in phantom 1 case it or unplug it and plug in the new rx/tx system
easy!

First, The OP is referring to a P2-Vision not a P-1.

Second, If I understand you, yes you can in fact change the P2V Tx/Rx to 2.4GHz, but... you will need to then change your FPV video Tx/Rx system as well. :oops:

Can't have both on 2.4GHz.

This is what Mr. Ireland was referring to I believe.

Thanks to all if I understand well the only way to change remote is by changing both the FPV To 5.8 and the remote to 2.4.

Does anyone knows the reasoning as of why phantom went to FPV on 2.4 rather than 5.8 isn't 5.8 bigger range and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paco.lira said:
Thanks to all if I understand well the only way to change remote is by changing both the FPV To 5.8 and the remote to 2.4.

Does anyone knows the reasoning as of why phantom went to FPV on 2.4 rather than 5.8 isn't 5.8 bigger range and faster.

Forget worring about range and 'faster'.

By using WiFi for the video downlink it reduces costs and complexity and makes it easy for anyone with an Android or iOS Smartphone able to immediately experience FPV flight.

Thesmokeshow said:

easy!

You should make that quote a sticky so all new flyers can follow your expert advice.

Paco.lira said:

Yes you are right but completely unreasonable becuase you would be better off just going down the p2 with gopro route from the start. I'm sure there will be lots of new modifications coming down the road for the vision range especially with the hacking of the repeater and vision app but for what you are thinking of just aint worth it mate.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Paco.lira said:

Yes you are right but completely unreasonable becuase you would be better off just going down the p2 with gopro route from the start. I'm sure there will be lots of new modifications coming down the road for the vision range especially with the hacking of the repeater and vision app but for what you are thinking of just aint worth it mate.

I tend to agree Mr. Ireland.

Full disclosure: That is what I have done.

I see the P2 as a 'component' in a system which includes discrete: Radio [control] system, Flight controller, camera(s), gimbal, FPV up/down-link hardware., antennas, telemetry equip., etc.

The intent is to progressively upgrade and change out components as reasonably feasable. Someday the Phantom, like any other system component, will be superceded and a different aerial platform will be used.

I've always preferred the component approach as opposed to an All-in-one solution.

I have a friend who lost his Phantom 2 in the sea, and he had a remote extra. Is there anyway I can use that on a Phantom 2?

If, how is the calibrating and connecting working?

Markus, are you saying that your friend had the EXACT same Phantom that you have? A straight Phantom 2, non-vision? Then, yes, absolutely, you can use that controller for your Phantom.

You would follow the instructions in the Wiki to rebind your Phantom to the new TX.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... d_Receiver

Then calibration would be through the RC Assistant software, as before.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Problem is that your transmitter works on 5.8ghz and you can be guaranteed your friends transmitter works on 2.4ghz, so no I'm afraid not. I havent heard of a single person using a different transmitter
I guess I'm surprised that there still isn't a manufacturer that offers a 5.8GHz module for their RC. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to do, and then they'd pretty much corner the market for the new Phantoms. Of course, I suppose "cornering the market" on a market that isn't all that big isn't a huge priority. Still, given that it SHOULD be fairly easy for a manufacturer to switch out to a 5.8 TX module... I'm pretty surprised.

I have a similar situation as i have 2 phantom 2 remote 1 older one that is the remote for my drone but i have another that is the updated version with the L1 wheel on the corner rather than the lever on the back. Can i change to the more modern remote as i have a 5.8 setup already?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic