Changing minimum altitude for Follow Me

Reaction score
I know the minimum altitude for Follow Me is 10m or 34feet with the Phantom Standard. But that's quite high. Is there any way to override the min limit and set it at 3-5meters?

No.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Octoruss. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

They limit the altitude to keep it at a safe distance from you. I do not know of any way to get around the limitation. At 34' you get a better field of view.

Someone will figure it out..I live in the desert so I would like a "fly beside me" mode say at 15 foot away and 6 to 10 foot altitude to video tape my on my Harley...lol..!!!

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Someone will figure it out..I live in the desert so I would like a "fly beside me" mode say at 15 foot away and 6 to 10 foot altitude to video tape my on my Harley...lol..!!!
It would take a totally custom firmware I believe. If enough restrictions are put on the phantoms by dji its only a matter of time imo. Whether you want to take the risk of using it on the other hand...

How about if you start the bird LOWER than your actual location... say 5 meters lower. Then it's "absolute" 10 meters would only be 5 meters over you... would this work ? (You would need a small ground elevation of course...)

How about if you start the bird LOWER than your actual location... say 5 meters lower. Then it's "absolute" 10 meters would only be 5 meters over you... would this work ? (You would need a small ground elevation of course...)
I believe that would work.

Good idea, but wouldn't the mobile device have to be that low also or lower?

What you will find is that you need some good distance to keep yourself in the frame. Even at some distance, less then 30' will not yield good results. The area of the image would still be too small (and it would still be better to increase the height rather then the distance). Also, unless you are in an open field you will want to be higher than 34' anyway. I'd venture to say 50' should be a minimum.

Follow me mode is _not_ like a selfie video. The drone does not fly right next to you. While DJI has done a _great_ job with this mode, it still not very practical.

Couple of good points, and I will add if is that close and you stop quick or etc, you might get a selfie hair cut. Please post that video!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl