Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Changing battery need to recalibrate compass again?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Klnyc, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Klnyc

Hello PP,

This maybe a silly question. Do you need to recalibrate the compass after you swap out to another fresh battery? I have 2 batteries. Thanks and always appreciated for your kind help.

2. cornishchris

When you need to recalibrate the compass you will get an onscreen reminder to do so , if you have not changed your location there should be no need

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

Klnyc, the short answer is no. But, check out this thread for more information about calibrating the compass.

4. tcope

When you calibrate the compass you are having it sense magnetic north. It's then locked in. If you then travel enough distance on the spherical Earth that magnetic north changes slightly (the further you travel, the more it changes). This is why the compass needs to be re-calibrated

Magnetic declination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

5. flyNfrank

I calibrate at every fresh battery, or each flight which all the same in my case.

I have had phantom's sky drop in the past. From my experiences I have learned to play it safe. I no longer have sky drop's or fly aways. I now spend a lot of time reading the type of threads I use to post.

6. Tommymonkey

I calibrate my compass each battery change even in the same location no problems.

7. N9344H

And by location, you are talking about geographical region, not front yard to back yard, or the other side of town. Compasses are calibrated to magnetic north, which is not the same as the north pole (close but not the same). If you stay within 100 miles of where you calibrated last, you will likely see no problem. But if you move across the state or country, recalibrating is in your best interest. If you look at the picture below you will see the variations in magnetic north.
    [​IMG]
    If you are in Alabama, for instance magnetic north is actually north. If you are in Seattle, though, magnetic north is 20 degrees east. So as you move across these isogonic lines, compass calibration is necessary.

#7 N9344H, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Reed L likes this.