Changed from Inspire 1 to Phantom 3 Pro

Reaction score
Just for info. and interest to others pondering what to buy
12 months ago I purchased a Phantom Vision 2+ then sold it in March and bought an Inspire 1 (X3 camera). The 2 were like chalk and cheese to operate.
I flew the Inspire around 200 times and had heaps of fun with virtually zero problems. My only difficulty was that the Inspire was almost too big to transport around to places where I wanted to fly. It was fine where I could park my car close by where I wanted to fly but not if I had to walk any distance.
So I have now sold my much loved Inspire and bought "a little" P3 pro and I must admit I am absolutely thrilled with its performance. I would challenge anyone to pick the difference in the videos and photos. It is so easy to put in the DJI backpack and walk to where I want to fly. And most importantly I am very very impressed with how well it handles flying in windy conditions (obviously not as windy as what the Inspire would take but I never flew in real windy conditions anyway). It is a brilliant little quad!!!!!
An added bonus is it doesn't seem to attract the attention that the Inspire did which at times was very annoying. I got sick of the increase in the number of people complaining about privacy etc and also curious bystanders with their questions. So far I've had 6 flights with the P3P in the same areas where I used to fly and not had one person approach me - that's heaven!!!!
And finally, the Inspire didn't turn out to be a bad investment because I bought it before DJI put their prices up and managed to get almost the same $$ back for it as I paid.
Anyway just thought I'd post this in case it's of interest to anyone not sure whether to buy an Inspire or Phantom.

interesting how the curious people can be so irritating when you just want a peaceful flight

also

seems the inspire has really held its value

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

The Inspire was tempting before the P3, but I can't really see much advantage unless you have a second person to operate the camera. Even then since the same camera is being used by the pilot as FPV it seems a bit cumbersome.
But mainly as pointed out, the additional size and weight is an issue for transport - and also far more likely to do damage if it falls on something.

I 7nderstand what you mean about the size. I went from the DJI F550 to the phantom3 Advance for the same reasons. I like to camp and found it too big to take when space was a premium. And the box I had to build for it would not fit in my backseat. Love the size and mobility of the phantom. They have come a long way since the days of my phantom1.

Yeah, when you have a trouble free Phantom, it's pretty awesome.
I couldn't imagine flying any other camera drone. ;-)
Well, certainly no where near this doable price range, that's "fo-sho".
Mine has been my pleasure, & nothing but pure enjoyment from day one. Really happy to have this awesome craft, in my RC aerial hangar.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Brad Pierce
I'm glad you shared your Inspire strory as I don't expect many others have or will sell their Inspire for such reason and purchase a Phantom 3. Beng new to this hobby, I figured the Inspire might be next on my list of "must have" toys however, given the size and perhaps inconvenience of have such, might possibly deter me from moving in that direction. Each day I fly my P3P, I'm quickly reminded and amazed at the technology we all get to enjoy and at a price point that I personally feel is still an incredible bargain. Enjoy your new Phantom!!

I have had my P3P since August and it has been fantastic. 90 flights so far and over 330kms covered without a single issue. Fantastic bit of kit for the £1,500 spent. But i'm now heading in the direction of an upgrade to an Inspire V2.
I dont think i will sell the P3P, just add an Inspire to my line up. Hopefully 2016 will bring some reasonable flying weather so I'm able to fly both, otherwise once I get the Inspire, the P3P may become prematurely retired

Yeah, when you have a trouble free Phantom, it's pretty awesome.
I couldn't imagine flying any other camera drone. ;-)
Well, certainly no where near this doable price range, that's "fo-sho".
Mine has been my pleasure, & nothing but pure enjoyment from day one. Really happy to have this awesome craft, in my RC aerial hangar.

RedHotPoker
If you could only pick one,RHP, which would you keep the spydr or the phantom?

Just for info. and interest to others pondering what to buy
12 months ago I purchased a Phantom Vision 2+ then sold it in March and bought an Inspire 1 (X3 camera). The 2 were like chalk and cheese to operate.

Anyway just thought I'd post this in case it's of interest to anyone not sure whether to buy an Inspire or Phantom.

So if anything what features or capabilities do you miss the most downgrading to the Phantom from the Inspire?

Inspire Pro next on MY list. I hope the thermal camera will be available by spring. Together with my P3P I will have the set up I need. I hope to be very busy come spring, into summer and the fall.

I can't wait for a unit that is capable of producing the high quality imagery, flies just as nice/stable and is half the size of the Phantom line...That is my dream:sunglasses:

So if anything what features or capabilities do you miss the most downgrading to the Phantom from the Inspire?
Don't really miss anything. I never used camera panning via c1/c2 buttons on the inspire - just turned the whole inspire around - as I do with P3. Have found hand catching with phantom very useful too - phantom has not got as stable landing as inspire although I am purchasing add on landing gear for p3 from Polarpro. Only other thing is inspire always had the wow factor with the public which might be important if you run a business. Had 3 more flights with P3 pro this morning in a national park and I'm just blown away with its performance- Brilliant for my use.

Don't really miss anything. I never used camera panning via c1/c2 buttons on the inspire - just turned the whole inspire around - as I do with P3. Have found hand catching with phantom very useful too - phantom has not got as stable landing as inspire although I am purchasing add on landing gear for p3 from Polarpro. Only other thing is inspire always had the wow factor with the public which might be important if you run a business. Had 3 more flights with P3 pro this morning in a national park and I'm just blown away with its performance- Brilliant for my use.

Good to know, I was thinking of moving to the Inspire but really did not see anything it does that the Phantom 3 does not do, other than cost twice the price.
I will wait and be watching for DJI's next greatest bird to be announced.
For now I am loving my Phantom 3.

G
Good to know, I was thinking of moving to the Inspire but really did not see anything it does that the Phantom 3 does not do, other than cost twice the price.
I will wait and be watching for DJI's next greatest bird to be announced.
For now I am loving my Phantom 3.
Good decision!!! You could always buy a second P3 and have one for Saturday and one for Sunday and probably still have $$ left over- hahaha

Hopefully not a US National Park because quads/model aircraft are prohibited from flying in them.

If you could only pick one, RHP, which would you keep the spydr or the phantom?

image.jpeg

Hahaha, I have several other quads and a couple of heli's but only one SpYder RS-S. ;-)
Afraid the SpYder wins, eight hands down. Hahaha
Plus-Plus, It's made in Canada, you know? ;-)
But @dji have nothing to be ashamed of. They make a rather nice, righteous drone. It's all good.

RedHotPoker

Auspete, When someone asks you a question a polite answer might be the best policy. You get a chance to explain your interest in drones, and how it's possible to fly one in a safe, and non-intrusive manner. Maybe you'll win some converts to the hobby, and make some friends, too. And that's always a good thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic