Change to carbon frame

Reaction score
Hi, has somebody tried to use all the electronics from the Phantom 2 with for example a carbon frame?
Is this hard to do and which things from the P2 can not be used with another frame?

I was thinking if its possible to use a carbon frame and then take out all the electronics (motors, esc, flight controller, GPS, Compass, etc) from the P2 and use it with the new frame? I´m not such a big fan of plastic frames, i just wish i had thought about that before i bought the P2, except from that i like the P2 very much.
I was thinking maybe a Tarot iron man 650 frame or something similar. Is it doable?

The Phantom said:
Hi, has somebody tried to use all the electronics from the Phantom 2 with for example a carbon frame?
Is this hard to do and which things from the P2 can not be used with another frame?

I was thinking if its possible to use a carbon frame and then take out all the electronics (motors, esc, flight controller, GPS, Compass, etc) from the P2 and use it with the new frame? I´m not such a big fan of plastic frames, i just wish i had thought about that before i bought the P2, except from that i like the P2 very much.
I was thinking maybe a Tarot iron man 650 frame or something similar. Is it doable?

Sure it could be done.

But the 'intelligent' battery is the biggest hassle here and one of the best reasons to move away from re-purposing P2 avionics.

Okay, but can't another battery be used instead or is there something special in the original P2 battery that makes that battery the only one to work with the rest of the P2 electronics?

If it needs the original battery, then is it the V2 flight controller that requires that original battery or something else?

Yes, the 'intelligent' battery communicates with the Naza FC.

This can be seen by looking at the battery or the battery compartment and noticing the two small contacts pads on the battery and 'pogo' pins in the compartment in addition to the large battery contacts.

Okay i see, so thats what they are for. But maybe the original battery could be used and taken out from its plastic shell to make it fit the new frame better? Just a thought.
But yes it actually sounds a bit complicated, don't know if its worth it?

If you want to build a Quad there's plenty of kits out there and you'd have the satisfaction of actually building it, not swapping parts.
Kind of a pointless effort to gut a Phantom.

AerialCinemaGuy said:
If you want to build a Quad there's plenty of kits out there and you'd have the satisfaction of actually building it, not swapping parts.
Kind of a pointless effort to gut a Phantom.

No doubt! ;)

Well not really so pointless, all people doesn´t have unlimited amount of money, so it would have saved some money to use the parts from the P2 instead of buying new parts. And sure the P2 can be sold to buy new parts for that money but i guess the second hand value is not all that good on the P2. So actually i think it should have been a pretty good idea if it had been easy to do. If i could have turned the P2 into a nice looking quad with a nice carbon frame in a simple way i could have go for that.

The Phantom said:
Well not really so pointless, all people doesn´t have unlimited amount of money, so it would have saved some money to use the parts from the P2 instead of buying new parts. And sure the P2 can be sold to buy new parts for that money but i guess the second hand value is not all that good on the P2. So actually i think it should have been a pretty good idea if it had been easy to do. If i could have turned the P2 into a nice looking quad with a nice carbon frame in a simple way i could have go for that.

Yeah it's easy to do with a P1 and many people have. However, DJI went out of their way to make sure the NAZA's in the P2 are locked to the smart battery system. The NAZA is easily the most valuable/expensive part in the Phantom and if that's not useful to you in a conversion there's not much benefit to migrating the rest of your P2's guts to another platform.

The nut to crack here is separating the "head" of the battery away from the battery cells. That way not only would you be able to upgrade your own batteries for less than £90 if you kept the P2, you would be able to transfer the whole flight system to another frame.

I would love to see this done.

Stock shell weighs about 260 grams. If we can find a suitable carbon fiber 350 frame, that can shave off 100 grams, maybe even a little more. That will make a substantial difference in flying time.

And if we can get something a little bigger to accommodate 10 inch props, we might get even more air time.

Battery is not a big deal. You just strap it with velcro, like most scratch built quads.

Personally, I don't need another quad. But if I can get one of my current P2s to fly more than 13-14 minutes with FPV/Gimbal/GP, that would be a win. It's not easy to just build something that flies longer and better for $550.

rcarlin said:
Carbon Fibre is a pretty good shield to the 2.4GHz frequency your transmitter runs on.

Antennas are below the frame. So is the FPV. GPS is above, facing the sky. Does it matter?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj