CF props VS stock

Reaction score
If anyone is wondering about the weight difference between the CF props and stock, I threw them on my trusty drug scale (yes, illegal drugs, scale is good to have as I'm a cop).

I've been running the CF props for about a week and I've had no problems with them. The performance seems to have increased slightly. Response and maneuvering have tightening up a lot.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437938422.939338.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437938433.034035.jpg

Were the CF props balanced? Any noticable verticle speed?
Been thinking of trying a pair but waiting to see results from others first.
Thanks for posting the weight differnce and first impressions.

Not balanced. Threw them on a let it rip. No vibrations at all. Vertical speed at full throttle seemed snappier. Felt more aggressive since they don't flex as much.

I've been thinking about buying a set but I only have one problem. I RIT dyed my props to make it easier to identify the orientation of my P3. I think doing the same to the CF props wouldn't be an option.

Just don't hit anything with them at all, they will shatter if hit hard, throwing pieces everywhere, or slice you finger off. Be aware any injury liability goes way up. Saw a guy get his finger in the way of a CF prop, we call him stubby now.

Reactions: snerd
Just don't hit anything with them at all, they will shatter if hit hard, throwing pieces everywhere, or slice you finger off. Be aware any injury liability goes way up. Saw a guy get his finger in the way of a CF prop, we call him stubby now.

I sliced my finger open on a P3 stock prop, and since I have no "issues" with how it flies, I'll save my money!!

If anyone is wondering about the weight difference between the CF props and stock, I threw them on my trusty drug scale (yes, illegal drugs, scale is good to have as I'm a cop).

I've been running the CF props for about a week and I've had no problems with them. The performance seems to have increased slightly. Response and maneuvering have tightening up a lot. View attachment 25832View attachment 25833
Nothing like a good use for the trusty drug scale [emoji6]

Thanks for the report...I have been looking at these but didn't want to be the guy getting CF just because it's CF!

Don't know where you got this "information" from, but it's simply not correct.

These Props are CF reinforced. CF just DOESN'T "shatter". Not any more than the factory props will unless you fly directly into a HARD surface.

CF reinforced props actually have a LOT less likelihood of "shattering" in a hard contact situation. Not sure where you received this information from, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Unless you aren't using "shatter" in the correct context. Perhaps you aren't speaking English as a primary language. In that case, I'll give you a Mulligan.

Otherwise, you've not had direct experience with CF reinforced anything.
Aren't these just carbon fiber "reinforced"? Not actual 100% CF.

Yes sir, you're correct. The fine print tells one exactly that.

Guys, these are not full carbon fiber props. They just have some CF reinforcement. It's like an intermediate step between full CF and plastic.

I just got them last week as well. I can say with confidence that you will not get more flight time. But I do get the feeling that the P3 is responding better... it's hard to quantify this. They're definitely more rigid... but the flip side of rigidity is that they might be brittle.

I'm always careful hand-catching my P3 and this makes me even more careful... o_O

According to the DJI sales page: "This advanced material combined win an ultra-thin profile guarantees extremely high levels of rigidity along with low amounts of inertia, allowing for more dynamic thrust. These features make the 9443 CFR ideal for those seeking manouverability and sensitivity."

It would be cool to see some sort of thrust comparison.

According to the DJI sales page: "This advanced material combined win an ultra-thin profile guarantees extremely high levels of rigidity along with low amounts of inertia, allowing for more dynamic thrust. These features make the 9443 CFR ideal for those seeking manouverability and sensitivity."

It would be cool to see some sort of thrust comparison.
Aren't the stock props 9450's? So these may not be matched perfectly to the motors in the P3?

Oh, you didn't mention that part, just CF props, DJI are not really CF they are just reinforced with a little CF. When I stated they would shatter I was referring to 100% CF props (after market)
I have used CF props almost exclusively over the years (not on Phantoms) and have never had one shatter. When I have crashed, maybe one side will break off, tips and edges chipped, but not shatter with scary pieces flying everywhere. Pretty sure the basic foundation of carbon fiber is that the fibers hold the composite together so it doesn't shatter (just like fiber glass).

Yes sir, you're correct. The fine print tells one exactly that.
I have used CF props almost exclusively over the years (not on Phantoms) and have never had one shatter. When I have crashed, maybe one side will break off, tips and edges chipped, but not shatter with scary pieces flying everywhere. Pretty sure the basic foundation of carbon fiber is that the fibers hold the composite together so it doesn't shatter (just like fiber glass).
I was at the AMA field and a guy flying a P-51 tip forward landing for some reason, and both prop arms shattered into about a dozen pieces, said they were CF, only experience I had with them. I understand the CF infused plastic props are much better, but also they don't flex much because they are stiffer, in a crash the motor bearing takes all the impact force. These are the pros and cons I found from a test done by a AMA member.
Advantages
  • Carbon fibre props produce less vibration due to its stiffness, and it sounds quieter too when spinning.
  • Less jello in the video.
  • They are lighter and significantly stronger than plastic when crashed, but not indestructible though.
  • Come balanced straight out of the box (usually).
  • Perform well under high RPM (work well with high KV motors.
  • Light weight props means less inertia, thus faster motor speed change, and the control feels more responsive.
Bad
  • Expensive!
  • Carbon Fibre props have a slightly shorter flight time than plastic prop of the same size/pitch prop
  • Less thrust than plastic props.
  • Because it’s tough and hard to break, when crash, the motor bearing will take most the impact.
Not sure if this test was done wit CF composite or 100% C F props as it doesn't say. But I would think the DJI ones would be the only ones to fly.

Drifting off topic... But how big was the P-51? Nitro or electric? How big was the prop? I feel like a gas engine would have more inertia and would continuously slam that prop into the ground for longer than it takes a brushless motor to stop. Also, if it was a larger model with more weight pushing the prop into the ground, I could see it.

For the safety side, people reference the chances of cutting someone so don't use CF props. That's like saying the P3 could fall out of the sky and hurt someone so don't fly it. Use safe practices when flying, understand and respect the physics and risks of what your are doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20