Certification for safe transport of goods by air

Reaction score
Has someone have a copy of a test certificate for transport?
I am looking for (Certification for safe transport of goods by air)
PH4-5870 mAh -15.2 V battery

The 2011 document looks out of date. Read the current IATA info:

IATA - Passenger Corner

IATA - Lithium Batteries

Theoretically, you don't need a certification and as far as I understand, you can't get one without the batteries actually being tested. T may be wrong though. I'm trying to get letters from the airlines confirming that I can carry on LiPo batteries, but so far, they have said they won't issue them because I don't need a letter according to IATA rules. I'm going to keep trying - I just need to find the right person to talk to!

I'm trying to get letters from the airlines confirming that I can carry on LiPo batteries, but so far, they have said they won't issue them because I don't need a letter according to IATA rules. I'm going to keep trying - I just need to find the right person to talk to!
Why are you trying to get that?
Thousands of people travel every day with Lipo batteries without any such letter.
Every laptop computer, iPad, camera, mobile phone etc, etc uses lipo batteries.
Hundreds fly with spare Phantom batteries every day and no-one at the airport even blinks when they see them in the X-ray scanner.
Go to your airline's website and search for Lithium or Batteries.
There you'll see their policy (and it won't include any certification.

Why are you trying to get that?
Thousands of people travel every day with Lipo batteries without any such letter.
Every laptop computer, iPad, camera, mobile phone etc, etc uses lipo batteries.
Hundreds fly with spare Phantom batteries every day and no-one at the airport even blinks when they see them in the X-ray scanner.
Go to your airline's website and search for Lithium or Batteries.
There you'll see their policy (and it won't include any certification.
Because I know people who have been stopped taking drone batteries. And I'm not talking about certification, just a letter from the airline which I have had before when bringing computer hardware in and it was no problem. I think because Phantom batteries are larger than the usual phone/computer battery, sometimes the security people are wary. I'm sure that most people have no issues which is great. Also, while IATA says that you can take as many spares as you want under 100wH, airlines have different policies. BA has contradictory information - one document says you can only take 3 batteries while another says as many as you want. Finnair document says two batteries per person, but the person I talked to on the phone said as many as you want. So - to answer your question - I prefer to have something official rather than having to argue my case each time and risk not having what I need to do my research. Especially at Heathrow where the security guys can be awful and it takes ages to get through anyway.

Because I know people who have been stopped taking drone batteries. And I'm not talking about certification, just a letter from the airline which I have had before when bringing computer hardware in and it was no problem. I think because Phantom batteries are larger than the usual phone/computer battery, sometimes the security people are wary. I'm sure that most people have no issues which is great. Also, while IATA says that you can take as many spares as you want under 100wH, airlines have different policies. BA has contradictory information - one document says you can only take 3 batteries while another says as many as you want. Finnair document says two batteries per person, but the person I talked to on the phone said as many as you want. So - to answer your question - I prefer to have something official rather than having to argue my case each time and risk not having what I need to do my research. Especially at Heathrow where the security guys can be awful and it takes ages to get through anyway.
Well good luck finding the certification that no-one else has ever found or heard of.
I'd never trust the word of any phone people over what's stated on the airline's website.
If you want something, you could print the airline's policy from their website.
But the security check-in people work for the airport, not any particular airline and it won't matter at all to them.

Reactions: With The Birds
As I said, I'm not looking for the certification that the original poster asked for which requires testing (which I have heard of actually - shippers require them for transport of dangerous goods). I have printed the airline policies. I know how airports work - I travel a lot. I also know that other people have found it useful to have official letterhead from the airline just to confirm that it is OK, just as it is a good idea to put the warning stickers on the LiPo bags even though you don't have to. As I said, even BA's own website contradicts itself. I have had carnets and letters before for other items which help to ease the security process even when not strictly needed. I see no harm in having a "belt and braces" approach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan