Cellular tablet or not ?

Reaction score
I'm using my smart phone at the minute for the DJI GO app.
Obviously it connects to the internet for data.
But I have a spare 10 inch tablet with no sim card/data.

So what would I loose using the tablet ? Just the maps in the left corner ?

I use a Nvidia K1 without data. I cache the maps for the area I will fly in at home while connected to wifi and they show up in the field.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I use a Nvidia K1 without data. I cache the maps for the area I will fly in at home while connected to wifi and they show up in the field.

I have read scary comments saying that NVIDIA Shield Tablet is not compatible/supported and will not have warranty from DJI. That made me avoid using mine, which I excitedly got.

What are your experiences? Mine is the original version with the stylus.

if your tablet is GPS enabled and you cache your maps before you leave, you don lose anything. Apps like Go or Litchi don't use the phone/data.

If you plan on using autopilot you might find that cellular data is very useful. The Airspace app allows telemetry to be sent across cellular network, very handy for following a vehicle or other moving target.

I have read scary comments saying that NVIDIA Shield Tablet is not compatible/supported and will not have warranty from DJI. That made me avoid using mine, which I excitedly got.

DJI recommends certain devices, but I don't think they will cover any incident due to a device failure. Either way, I have flown a lot using both DJI GO and Litchi on the K1. Just make sure whichever app you are not using is completely killed. The K1 is one of the most used tablets from what I have seen. Maybe others with more knowledge on DJI's device support will chime in.

Dummy here first timer. How do you capture the maps. going to get a K1 in the future without cell service, Haven't even got my machine yet

The Nvidia is one of the best Android tablets to fly with.
It's pretty well bulletproof despite not being on DJI's list.
Using it should have no impact on warranty.
If there's a problem caused by the Phantom's manufacturing or programming, DJI cover it.
A tablet problem will at worst, lose your video but it won't crash the Phantom.
And the Nvidia K1 is less likely to drop out than any other Android tablet I've tried so far.

I got an iPad mini 2 with GPS. You need the cellular enabled version as it's the only one with the GPS chip. The wifi only version does not have such chip. I'm happy with it, and it needs not be on a cellular contract.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks guys,very interesting.
Also would like to know how to cache maps if anyone could advise. I plan to use a galaxy tab 2.

If you need internet, just tether your tablet to your phone, it's what I do via bluetooth.

P.s. nVidia K1 is a beast, handles anything thrown at it. Don't always listen to the horror stories, data specs blow most of the others out of the water.

Thanks a lot for the responses. My Shield Tablet is not the K1 but the previous -more expensive with fancy pancy stuff but the same CPU and GPU.

As far as I remember on DJI forums DJI Natalia said in one post that unsupported device would void warranty. Otherwise I was very happy with NVIDIA for P4 which I'm using only for flying purposes and DJI GO is the only app installed.

I am an iOS and macOS user exclusively but my iPad 4 still serves me pretty well and I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling the NVIDIA and paying more to get an iPad mini 4 with Cellular or end up with getting an iPad 2 Wi-Fi and settle with lower performance overall.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic